Battery Charge from solar panel for automatic gate opener

/ Battery Charge from solar panel for automatic gate opener
Water gets into the battery box thru the vents. Going to make a roof over it as it is partially exposed to the elements. See

Attachments

• Gate.jpg
    Gate.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 50
   / Battery Charge from solar panel for automatic gate opener #12  
Check other batteries with that same meter, simply off then running/charging.

Here's the results: Outside temp is mid-40's. Truck built 5-yr ago. Factory battery. Not started for 22 hours showing 80% charge. 2nd reading is with engine running.

Attachments

• 11.22 RamBatt.jpg
    11.22 RamBatt.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 35
   / Battery Charge from solar panel for automatic gate opener #14  
To me, I wouldn't be too concerned, however, I would either unplug solar panel or throw a towel over it (cover completely). Open & close gate a few times with just battery not being charged. The higher voltage apparently is because the charge exceeds the intermittent gate motor load. Even cloudy panel is still charging some.
Just looking at pictures to me it's a nice set-up but maybe a little overkill...the solar panel & battery exceeds use time cycles.
Me, as an electronic technician, I would probably try a temporary experiment like a 12 volt landscape light or two, especially with a photocell (dusk/dawn). That gives a 1 or 2 amp load on battery.
Most likely it's designed the way it is because some applications the gate may be used every 5 minutes!
I have a landscaping friend who changes gate batteries a lot and thinking about it, it's probably from overcharging.
I think you'd certainly have higher voltage readings on your truck battery if it was on a charger 9 hours a day.

To me, I wouldn't be too concerned, however, I would either unplug solar panel or throw a towel over it (cover completely). Open & close gate a few times with just battery not being charged. The higher voltage apparently is because the charge exceeds the intermittent gate motor load. Even cloudy panel is still charging some.
Just looking at pictures to me it's a nice set-up but maybe a little overkill...the solar panel & battery exceeds use time cycles.
Me, as an electronic technician, I would probably try a temporary experiment like a 12 volt landscape light or two, especially with a photocell (dusk/dawn). That gives a 1 or 2 amp load on battery.
Most likely it's designed the way it is because some applications the gate may be used every 5 minutes!
I have a landscaping friend who changes gate batteries a lot and thinking about it, it's probably from overcharging.
I think you'd certainly have higher voltage readings on your truck battery if it was on a charger 9 hours a day.

When you mentioned landscape lighting, that was exactly what I had decided to add to the setup. BTW, I went to 6-mo Coast Guard ET school 60 years ago. Right after, I was transferred to New Orleans where I spent 3 years investigating ships requesting to enter US waters. It was never my occupation but you don't forget some of the training (e.g. resistors BBROYGBVGW).
I have never had to charge this battery. The setup across the road uses a smaller solar panel and two of those batteries that go in UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). He keeps two on charge and needs to swap them out 2-3 times a month.
I'm happy with my setup.
With the truck battery showing 80%, it might indicate that it is almost time for a new one. I've had my current tractor for 22+ years. Batteries lasted 8 - 7 - 6 years in that order.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

/ Battery Charge from solar panel for automatic gate opener #17  
Great setup, and thanks for sharing your Coast Guard background—impressive! Your experience with the solar panel for the gate opener and landscape lighting sounds solid. It's fascinating how different setups affect battery life. Have you ever considered solar panels Cork? Seems like your expertise could be valuable in exploring those options!

Last edited: