Battery for 6500

/ Battery for 6500 #1  

Mike in La.

Tractor
6500 4x4 FEL
What battery do you guys up north use in your 6500? I've replaced mine with a battery with the same CCA as the original battery but at 30 degrees it just doesn't have what it takes to start up.

/ Battery for 6500 #2  
Mike in La.

We have great results using Interstate 31P-MHD batteries. They show to have 1190 Cranking Amps and 950 Cold Cranking Amps. Just my $.02

/ Battery for 6500 #3  
Little tractor engines dont need that much battery to start. We start our Dodge Cummins with 800 CCA at single digits. You have a bad replacement batt or install ... or starter.
larry

/ Battery for 6500 #4  
I would check cables and connections.

You could also use a multimeter and read voltage at the battery while someone tries to start it. If it doesnt drop much it means the starter isnt getting the amperage it needs. So then check wiring. maybe even upgrade battery cables.

/ Battery for 6500 #5  
I went back to the dealer and got a replacment for the 6200. I just kind of wanted to keep the tractor as original as possible and didn't want to screw up, getting something cheaper like I all too often do.

Our mid 90s 6200 with just over 1000 hours will probably start in -15c, kept in an unheated barn with the glow plugs. It sure doesn't sound terribly happy about it, but it starts.

Plugging it in and it starts like in summer!

Once in a while I throw a charger on the battery for a few days and once a year I check the terminals plus check the water level.

/ Battery for 6500 #6  
What battery do you guys up north use in your 6500? I've replaced mine with a battery with the same CCA as the original battery but at 30 degrees it just doesn't have what it takes to start up.

Had that exact problem. It turned out that my 6500 came new with the timing screwed up.

/ Battery for 6500 #7  
Also recommend that you spend the $1 on the dielectric grease packets. They can be found in an AutoZone front counter. A whole small can costs about $25, but will last most people a lifetime.

/ Battery for 6500
That;s a thought.......during hot weather my 6500 starts to lose power,miss,and smoke after 4 hours of bushogging. I suspected a vapor lock issue as checking for water at the filter will blister my hand as the fuel is extremely hot. Idle It down or shut it down for an hour and it runs great. I think the fuel tank is in a bad location but timing could also be an issue. What did you do? Back to the dealer? My dealer went belly up. I just rolled over 135 hours after 4 years and the issue started at the end of the second year. Temperature gauge never passes normal range.

/ Battery for 6500 #9  
When I had my problem, my dealer called the factory rep. that travels around to dealers etc.

As it happened, the next day the rep. was traveling to within a half hours drive of where I live.

He spent the whole day working on it and "one last thing" was checking the timing.

I was extremely lucky to have him work on it.

I always had trouble starting in colder temps. Replaced the Exide battery with another. That one went, so I got another.
Exide stinks!

I finally replaced it with a quality farm type battery. The largest one that would fit. It was like night and day!

I am no longer leery of leaving my tractor in the woods over night, nor have I had any starting problems at all.

Going on 3 years with the new battery.