Battery polarity on 8N

/ Battery polarity on 8N #1  

manwith2jd

Tractor
JD4300, 4wd, SRT, 2005 X740, 318, 2007 X740, Turf Gator 4x2
Folks,
Trying to help son-in-law with his 1950 Ford 8N. It's still running 6 volt system. Are these old 8N's by chance positive ground? This one is wired + to chassis ground and - to the starter?

/ Battery polarity on 8N #2  
Yep, the N series tractors that are still running 6V with the original generators are positive ground.

/ Battery polarity on 8N #3  
I agree also, because I have one. Although I have converted it to 12 v. 12v alternator, 12v battery, and the starter is still 6 v. 12v plus is grounded. It turns over faster. Just don't sit on the starter button.

/ Battery polarity on 8N
Thanks guys, good thing I asked here!

/ Battery polarity on 8N #5  
I agree also, because I have one. Although I have converted it to 12 v. 12v alternator, 12v battery, and the starter is still 6 v. 12v plus is grounded. It turns over faster. Just don't sit on the starter button.

You must have one of the rare 12v +G alternators. you don't see them too often. even more rare are the 6v+G alternators. i know a guy with one on his N.

soundguy

/ Battery polarity on 8N #6  
Yep, the N series tractors that are still running 6V with the original generators are positive ground

FWIW...

on a side note... if you have one of those old 6V generators...you can ground the fields and use it for an electric motor...that can drive a winch, hydraulic pump etc....etc...lots of torque...for higher RPMS use 12-18 volts

changing polarity changes rotation

/ Battery polarity on 8N #7  
That is called motoring.. and you won't get much torque out of that style of gen.

the fan belt is enough friction to hold the gen stalled if the cutout relay sticks.

Also.. not all electric motors reverse direction with reverse polarity.. depends on the field... how it's flashed and wired, in comparison to the armature.. etc.

Also.. your 'grounding the field' ONLY works with A circuit wired generators.. it will not work at all on a B circuit wired generator.

soundguy