Bead Blaster?

/ Bead Blaster? #11  
I used to be big into rock crawling. I ran 38-14.50's and always had the pressures very low for the best grip. I didn't have the cash for bead locks, so I just kept a can of starting fluid in my spare parts box alongside my spare axle shafts, u-joints, and tie rod ends. The nice thing about using starting fluid was that ya didn't even have to take the wheel off the truck to reseat the bead, and only rarely had to jack the wheel off the ground.
It didn't take much. Usually spray into the entire circumference of the tire cavity as quickly as you can. Once you have made it all the way around back to where you started, spray a "tail" or fuse from the bead out to the tread of the tire so that when you light it your hand isn't near the bead. You will want to light it pretty quickly after spraying...within a few seconds. Works like a charm on truck tires, but honestly I have never tried it on a large tractor tire.

/ Bead Blaster? #12  
I expect I'm going to be trying this soon. I have a pair of rear tires ordered for my 4310 and the pic looks like the beads are practically touching each other unmounted. Not wanting to put spreaders in and let them sit long enough for them to relax the other way.

/ Bead Blaster? #13  
I bought the $100 5 gal from HF. Nice unit but added some air valves and fittings to be used with it. Haven't used it but a couple of times on 8" lawnmower tires. Not really setup for that.....use on larger tires. Also there is a learning curve and a helper to hold the tire, or a tire changer that will hold it still helps too. Buttttt in time it will become a great asset.

I have used Ether on several occasions in the past.....works but scared me every time I used it.....use too much and BOOM.

/ Bead Blaster? #14  
I expect I'm going to be trying this soon. I have a pair of rear tires ordered for my 4310 and the pic looks like the beads are practically touching each other unmounted. Not wanting to put spreaders in and let them sit long enough for them to relax the other way.

My only is advice is to sneak up on the amount of ether you need. Don't see how much ether you can use on the first try. :thumbsup:

/ Bead Blaster? #15  
Guess im just old school
I use a ratchet strap all the way around the middle of the tread.
Most of the time thats all it needs. Sometimes a little help with a big hammer on the sidewall seats the bead.

/ Bead Blaster? #16  
Guess im just old school
I use a ratchet strap all the way around the middle of the tread.
Most of the time thats all it needs. Sometimes a little help with a big hammer on the sidewall seats the bead.

That's what I usually use on 8-12" rim, fat tires, and sometimes a pair with the ratchets on opposite sides and the hammer. I think the blaster is easier on larger diameter wheels.

/ Bead Blaster? #17  
I've done it it with perfect results on ATV tires. They will come shipped flat/strapped together and no amount of ratchet straps etc worked.

Laid it out in the yard 3 squirts and boom, on the bead.

If you do try this method, I highly recommend you REMOVE the STEM from the valve first so there is an exit path for pressure in case you use too much ether.

/ Bead Blaster? #18  
If you do try this method, I highly recommend you REMOVE the STEM from the valve first so there is an exit path for pressure in case you use too much ether.

I really doubt that would make much difference considering the volume of gas in the combustion, the steepness of the explosion front, and the size of the exit hole, but it makes you feel good....grin.

/ Bead Blaster? #19  

==============================================================================================

Using ether or wd-40 is a very dangerous way to mount tires and it has caused fatalities in the past.

This jd mule has drop center wheels and unless you have a large number of tires tools to use it
will be better for you to hire a farm tire installer to do it as they will have a hydraulic bead
breaker and the tire irons need to dismount the tires quickly and more efficiently than you
could do by yourself.

I mounted tires of all types and sizes up to 18.00-25 mining tires with 32 ply for a living and
I will tell you that it takes a lot to mount them and dismount them. and paying a farm tire
distributor to dismount the old tires and mount the new ones on the machine will be much
more cost effective for you as they will have all the tools needed to accomplish this in one morning.

It will be much easier to just hire a farm tire distributor to take care of this for you and I can tell
you from personal experience that it will cost you less money and you will have the tractor back
the same day to use it as changing tires with few tools will turn into a long drawn out process and
you will damage the tire beads and or the rims.