belarus 420an

/ belarus 420an #1  

surferturnedfarmer

Tractor
belarus 420an
I am looking at buying a 1987 belarus 420an and i don't know anything about it. what is the best way to learn and is it worth my time for only $4000.
Is there an easy way to test the rear hydraulics to see if they work?

/ belarus 420an #2  
What do you plan to do with it?

/ belarus 420an
What do you plan to do with it?

I have 10 acres and i am building a house. there will be minor construction work during the process. After completion we will do minor farm type work, rototilling, plowing my driveway, spreading mulch, repairing my driveway, and minor digging. Nothing too heavy.

/ belarus 420an #4  
My main concerns would be longevity and parts availability. You'd basically be on your own when it comes time for any service/repair. It could last you many years, or it could break a part that has no easily accessible replacement and leave you with a chunk of scrap iron within a month of purchase. More than likely it'd be the former, but there's no safety net on one of these dead brand tractors. I'd check ebay for common parts and see what's out there at what price.

Also, ask the seller if you can bring a tech out with you to inspect it. While they may not be familiar with Belarus, they will be able to check for things that you might have missed.