Bent Bucket Fix???

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
Any idea how it was bent up?
That would help to know for a suggestion how to fix.

Does the bucket have an edge blade welded on? Or is it without a blade?

With the bucket on the ground, might put a post in the bucket over the bend (rise) and under a heavy tree limb or house/barn beam. Then curl the bucket to hopefully return the bend to straight (er). :)

Or if you need the excuse to buy the press...that should be a good one. :D

Been,
No idea how it got bent, came that way. Likely pushing on something with the bucket curled. Yes it does have a blade welded on. Had not thought of using the curl function to bend it back. I think one would have a problem controlling how much bending was going on there. Might make it worse in the opposite direction. Could use an observer for better results I suppose.

YES, good excuse to buy a 20 ton press!

Thanks,
Dennis

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
Straightened mine with the wood splitter, blocked up each end of the bucket and used a block under the wedge to push the bucket past being straight till the bucket was straight when I released the wood splitter.

Mr. Milk,
WINNER!!! Why couldn't I have thought of that? I've already got the wood splitter, which come to think of it would make a fair 27 ton press, according to the specs.

Thanks! I had faith you guys would pull a rabbit for me. Great list.

Dennis

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
GOOD ONE!!!!!!
I never though of flipping my log splitter vertical

side note they work good to brake beads on tires too!

tom

Tom,
I sense a new thread here ;' >
"Alternative uses for a wood splitter".
Good idea.

Dennis

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
Heat and a big hammer!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Egon,
Son in law still has my "heat" tanks. Used the big hammer on my draw bar,
and judging by how much whacking I had to do on that smallish thing, bending the bucket might exceed my whackabilitys.

Dennis

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
Weld a thick angle iron across the top of the bucket, then pound in progressively longer vertical 2x4's standing in the bucket between the upper and lower edges. They will push the lower lip down. Will be easier if you couple it with chaining the bucket edge down and use curl to add extra force. You always do need to go past straight to get it to stay straight. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. The extra beef of the tooth bar will help keep it from happening again.

FT,
The angle iron bracing is a good idea, but I think I'd rather use a bottle jack than do all that pounding.

D

/ Bent Bucket Fix???
If I understand, the edge is bent upward, correct? Bucket looks like a frown rather than the more common smile???
If that's the case, wedge the edge under something immovable with the bottom of the bucket on the ground. A stump works well. Curl the bucket back. The curl function will almost certainly have enough power to bend the edge. Go a little at a time. If you overbend it can be harder to correct.
A bend in that direction is usually the result of pushing against a tree or similar, with the bucket curled.

BXp,
Thanks, will consider using the curl in future. Finding something strong enough to take that force would be the major issue.
Dennis

/ Bent Bucket Fix??? #17  
Mr. Milk,
WINNER!!! Why couldn't I have thought of that? I've already got the wood splitter, which come to think of it would make a fair 27 ton press, according to the specs.

Thanks! I had faith you guys would pull a rabbit for me. Great list.

Dennis

Forgot to add that I put a piece of railroad tie across the foot of the splitter, then put blocks under the ends of the bucket.

/ Bent Bucket Fix??? #18  
You can also use a hydraulic bottle jack in the middle of the bucket lip and run a chain over the top of it. Attach the chain ends to the bucket lips out at the sides...weld temporarily or bolt it.