Oil & Fuel Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #1  

Norcal M5

Bronze Member
Do you guys order your hydraulic fluid from New Holland, or is there a better place to get it? I'm accustomed to finding my supplies at a location other than the dealer for reasonable pricing and good quality. Also, there isn't a dealer anywhere around here (Santa Cruz Mountains).

I just checked the fluid for the first time and it's too low to register on the dipstick. I would therefore like to find fluid locally and use it before using the tractor again.

The manual says AMBRA Multi G 134.

Any advice?

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #2  
of all places not considered...
walmart carries it at a fair price. go figure! at least the store in my area of nw oregon does.

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #3  
NorCal, I'm going to caution you to use only fluid that you are sure is compatible to the Multi-G 134A. When you go to Walmart, they sell a fluid that is labelled "Hydraulic Fluid" which is lower in price. That fluid would be fine for hydraulic systems that are gear only applications. With your TC34DA, the most critical part of your tractor is the HST transmission. You need a premium fluid that is designed for transmission fluid rather than just hydraulic fluid. Just don't be tempted to buy the cheapest fluid at Walmart or anywhere else. The money you save on fluid is not worth having early wear of the close-tolerance transmission pump and motor parts. The premium fluids have detergents and anti-wear additives that may not be present in the cheaper fluids. I'm putting a link here to show an example of what I'm talking about. The link is to O'Reilly Auto Parts website. They have two oils available. The "Premium Universal Tractor Fluid" and the "AW-32, 46, 68 Hydraulic Oil." The premium fluid is is $5 more per 5 gallon pail, but if you read its description, you will see that it is designed for transmissions. If you read the description of the hydraulic fluid, there is no mention of transmissions. It's a minor difference and easily overlooked.

BTW: I have used several oils and it is true that the NH Multi-G 134A is more expensive. If I was still in warranty, I'd only use that oil. I'd really hate to have a problem and have New Holland blame it on the "other" fluid I was using. Once out out warranty, I've used several non-NH oils, but always premium ones.

O'Reilly Oils

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #4  
Do you guys order your hydraulic fluid from New Holland, or is there a better place to get it? I'm accustomed to finding my supplies at a location other than the dealer for reasonable pricing and good quality. Also, there isn't a dealer anywhere around here (Santa Cruz Mountains).

I just checked the fluid for the first time and it's too low to register on the dipstick. I would therefore like to find fluid locally and use it before using the tractor again.

The manual says AMBRA Multi G 134.

Any advice?

I haven't found a non-NH oil that's meets Ambra Multi G 134 specs yet so when I topped off the system in my TD95D, I bought Ambra from the dealer. It's about 50-100% more expensive (~$65/ 5 gallons at NH)depending on where you buy it)than a fluid that meets the old Ford MC-134D spec.

If you're still under warranty, you might want to stay with the NH recommended product rather than risk voiding a warranty, unless you find an alternative oil that's meets the NH spec.

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #5  
Do you have any bulk fuel dealers in your area? The guys that supply farms and ranches, business use, etc.
I have one here in Idaho that was able to cut my oil and hydraulic costs by about 1/3 over the dealers costs. Mind you it all comes in 5 gal cans, but its still quite a savings.

He also sells the local off highway fuels.

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA
No bulk dealers close by that I know of. I'll keep an eye open though and ask at the tractor dealer. In the meantime, I'll follow Jimna's advice and top it off with the O'Reilly "Tractor Fluid."

BTW, I was checking the oil level and the oil was very black. I'm not used to that in my gas engines. Is this the way diesel engine oil looks new? Does it mean I need to change it, or does it get this way soon from the diesel combustion process quickly?

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #7  
Diesel engine oil will darken in less than 50 hours. That's just a characteristic of diesels. Not to worry.

That said, your transmission fluid should stay nice and clear to a deep yellowish tint right before you change it. If it ever gets dark, it indicates overheating of the fluid. If it gets milky, it indicates water is contaminating it. I find my front differential fluid (the same as hydraulic fluid) gets a lot darker because it is not filtered like the transmission fluid.

/ Best Source for Hydraulic Fluid for TC134DA #8  
hello i ran into the same problem with the 4610 su i recently purchased i found oil at tractor supply and also at napa parts store just sure it says meets or exceeds spec for 134d 50 bucks at tractor supply for 5 gal 64 at napa nh dealer wanted 76 bucks per 5 gal pail there are compatiable oils just make sure it reads MEETS OR EXCEEDS 134D SPECS hope this helps