Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #1  

ric

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 245DT and 175F
I buy fuel in two 2.5 gallon cans and mix with Stabil. I don't use fuel that fast so I don't need it sitting around going stale.

Whats the best way to clean the slight residue and spots thats formed on the inside before I begin using them again this Summer?

I use soap and water and air dry them, which seems to work well. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

ric

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #2  
You might try some mineral spirits or naptha. i would use it before water.

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #3  
I'd be using Lucas or Power service, not Stabil in diesel. Diesel really dosen't go "stale" anyway, like gasoline. I have 2- 275 gallon bulk tanks that I fill yearly and never had a problem.

Remember, the fuel you buy at the pump has been sitiing around for a while anyway. I had a rather lengthy discorse about diesel about 2 weeks ago in a similar thread.

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

Attachments

• 248266-tank.jpg
    248266-tank.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 217
   / Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans
Thanks for the feedback.

When I said stale I was referring to all the issues that can happen to diesel fuel which gets stored for long periods not the least of which is algae. I agree algae is a big issue everywhere, not just near the ocean (never heard that one before). Other issues include moisture and then tendency of diesel fuel to thicken as it ages most likely due to evaportaion and the presence of water. Whatever the process is and the results I'd say we agree that long term storage of diesel fuel can create problems.

I have tried gasoline, and mineral spirts. Both remove the diesel fuel as you might imagine, but neither cut the dried residue like soapy water. When I was in the military we used soap and water to clean fuel cans and tanks then compressed air to dry everything. Kept everybody out of trouble.

Since I placed this post I experimented with Fantastic and it cleaned these cans perfectly.

In the fuel storage post the idea of using a tank and pump seems reasonable, but is not really that cost effect for me. I agree fuel is stored successfully underground for long period before it purchased, but then its supposed to be. The tanks are underground several feet in insulated tanks which goes a long way to eliminating moisture which keeps algae from growing. Any that grows and any water present is effectively stripped by the filters in the pump.

I have use Stabil in gas and diesel fuel for years what is that is lacking in this product? I have never had a problem, except when I don't use it.

Thanks.

ric

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #5  
I have never understood the theory of condensation and diesel, in an airtight storage can. If it's airtight, limited condensation can occur? Say if you have a 5 gallon airtight container of diesel, with 4 gallons in it. There is one gallon of air to hold moisture, to create condensation? I really don't think that would be enough condensation to worry about. In a vented fuel tank, yes.

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #6  
You have more humidity near the ocean, hence more condensation. More water in the air, more water in the fuel. You get down around the water and it can seem like everything is damp all the time. If it's made of steel and it's not coated it's rusting.

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #7  
I don't think the fuel containers we use are really airtight. They do tend to breathe a little. The fuel expands/contracts as the temperature fluctuates. After it expands the container; upon contraction it will suck outside air back in to fill the void. I keep 25 gallons of gas in 5 gal plastic containers. I notice them swell and contract. But all at differing rates depending on how well I sealed both the vent and cap on any particular can. Also every time we use the can we introduce more air.

Phil

/ Best way to clean up diesel fuel cans #8  
Try some MEK. you can still buy it in 1 gallon jugs at lowes. it's pretty powerful stuff thats why it's supposed to be outlawed. if it can be removed MEK will do it.
To control bacterial growth or algae use PRIST . it is added to jet fuel to do just that.