Backhoe BH 76 boom cylinder hydraulic hose leak.

/ BH 76 boom cylinder hydraulic hose leak. #1  

OldGerald

Tractor
Kubota L3400
I was digging a little hole last night and low and behold, I see fluid squirting from a chafed hose near the swivel point where the hoe attaches to the tractor. After closer examination, it appears that the leak occurs only when retracting the boom. That hose also appears to be attached to the cylinder up inside the boom housing. I'm guessing that I will have to remove the lower hose connection, both pivot pins and then pull the cylinder and remaining hose out of the housing to replace the hose. I am a newbie at hydraulics but am fairly mechanically inclined, so I think I want to give it a go. I am old enough to have learned that asking questions beforehand is better than making expensive mistakes. Anybody got any suggestions?

/ BH 76 boom cylinder hydraulic hose leak. #2  
I think the 3pt backhoe I use on the back of the 3600 is also a 76. Make sure you are parked under something you can use a lifting device on the arm as you will need control to line the pins back up after you get it disassembled. Also use lots of wasp spray before you stick your hand up in the arm. Other then that it is just time and cursing.

/ BH 76 boom cylinder hydraulic hose leak.
My BH76 is mounted to a sub frame and not the 3pt hitch. However, that is a good point, it looks a little heavy to manhandle around.

/ BH 76 boom cylinder hydraulic hose leak.
Turned out to be quite easy. Knock both pins out and pull the cylinder out of the boom. Not quite enough room, so depress piston and spray hydraulic fluid on clean shirt. :duh: Change the hose and re-install cylinder and upper pin. Not enough room to line up lower pin. :confused:Remove upper pin and rotate cylinder 180 degrees and reinstall both pins. Angled hose connection doesn't line up with valve.:mad: Then, knock both pins out again and slide cylinder far enough back to rotate hose connection 180 degrees and re-install for the final time. :)