Big Diesel Motor Picture

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #11  
I went on a tour of a natural gas compressor station when I was in scouts. They used a really huge engine that ran on natural gas. I seem to remember that the cylinders were big enough to climb into. I tried to find a picture of one of these on the net, but without success.

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #12  
That looks like a static Enterprise Diesel engine: Circa late 30's thru the 40's.

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #13  
David, it may not have any similarity, but <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arielcorp.com/TECHDATA/TECHPAPER/AATECHPAPER.htm>this picture</A> looks like a right fair sized natural gas compressor.

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #15  
I have heard people joke about working on an old large car, "climbing in the engine compartment, closing the hood, and going to work." Well, I've never heard, "climbing in the engine and going to work." Some nice big engines there. Be nice to have one on a generator for the house, and the neighbors house, and the . . .

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #16  
<font color=blue>The Vulture Mine is located 20 miles SW of Wickenburg, AZ</font color=blue>

I had no idea they had such a huge diesel at the Vulture Mine. We are just building our retirement home north of Wickenburg, and we have not yet visited the mine, but will soon. I was even surprised to run into someone at TBN who had even heard of Wickenburg /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif (population about 5,000)

Vulture Peak, near the mine, is the town's landmark. Here's a view of <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hup.org/wickenburg/FrontPorchView.jpg>Vulture Peak</A> from the front porch of our new home.

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #17  
Bird and Egon - thanks for the links.
Am I confused, or don't these engines provide the motive force and the compressor with the same cylinders?

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #18  
I don't think you'd like the fuel bill. If I'm not mistaken that was a two cycle natural gas fueled commpresor. The compressor heads would be on the other side and are each run off of the main crankshaft.

Egon

/ Big Diesel Motor Picture #19  
This showed up on another forum I haunt. Cat 797 engine. 24 cylinder diesel.

Attachments

• 35-213302-LIFTING3524BEngine797enginechange.jpg
    35-213302-LIFTING3524BEngine797enginechange.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,864