bigger problems G1800 deck lift stuck.

/ bigger problems G1800 deck lift stuck. #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Well, this one caught me by surprise-I went to attach the mower deck and cant get the hydraulic deck lift to descend. This G1800 has the rear pto option, and has a directional valve to shift between rear pto lift and belly mower deck lift. It appears to have been many years since the mower was attached and used. At first the directional valve was stuck, but is now moving although moves in and out of the valve housing only about 1/4 inch.

So rear lift works fine. When I shift the directional valve forward and then push the lift lever forward, nothing happens, the lift mechanism will not descend even when i apply downward force. When I pull back on the lift lever, the relief valve starts howling just like it should, because its already fully up (although the top of piston is about 3/16 from hitting the stop) However, I can detect no movement of the hydraulic cylinder piston, nor can i get it to retract even when prying between top of piston and frame piston stop. Piston exterior is not rusty at all, but I am not sure what to do next to figure out the problem. thanks in advance for any help.

/ bigger problems G1800 deck lift stuck. #2  
Make sure your feet are not under the deck, then loosen the hose going to the lift cylinder. If fluid leaks out and the deck drops, the the problem is the control valve. If the deck won't drop with the hose loose, then the cylinder or lift mechanism is stuck. If it is the control valve, it's probably gummed up and needs a cleaning or working back and forth with the mower not running until it loosens up. You only apply pressure to the cylinder when the deck is lifted. When you move the valve lever to lower the deck, you shift a spool and fluid is allowed to return to the sump. I don't think 1/4" of movement is sufficient, but I'm not certain.

/ bigger problems G1800 deck lift stuck.
Thanks for the reply, got it fixed, and did what you suggested and loosened a hose, deck went right down. Because the valve assembly was so hard to get to, I pulled the rear seat and fender assembly, and only then could I see the other end of the directional valve on the other side of the assembly (spool comes out both sides of the valve). It was really pretty rusty, and preventing the valve from moving more than that quarter inch, and dry as well. Oil and some polishing and its working just fine, although I will have to hope it does not start leaking. Thanks for the help.