Blew a gasket or something.

/ Blew a gasket or something. #1  

FurFishGame

Tractor
Koher 20 Horse, front and rear PTO W/3point and mower.
Hey all, I was lookin up stuff on how to fix my tractor and I ran across this site.

I figured maybe you could help me.
I have a kohler powered 20 Horse "simplicity sunstar" make in the 90's that somebody gave to me, said it needs some work.....Ya, it needed some work alright.

Well, anyway, after re building the carburetor, fixing the front PTO and 3 point along with a buncha little stuff, The only thing I got left to do is fix an oil leak.

I don't have a picture, but I'll try to explain.
There is the oil filter, it is attached to a "neck" that runs to the engine/oil pan, there is a gasket right where this "neck" attaches to said engine/oil pan. I think the gasket blew, cause its droppin about a quart of oil every hour, hour and a half. I don't see any way to take off the 'neck" to fix it, so I was wondering if I could put some Form-a-gasket around the outside and squeeze as much as I could down in there if it would hold. I had nothing but problems with it last year, and so far I'm having nothing but problems this year, and as far as I know, its all I got left to fix.

I will get a picture on tuesday, its at my boss's house currently and I'm goin on tuesday to work on it.
thanks

/ Blew a gasket or something. #2  
There have to be bolts holding on this "neck". Is it possible you can access them with the oil filter unscrewed?

Trying to seal the oil leak with an external patch is not likely to work.

Look here for an exploded parts diagram.

http://www.superxpower.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KOH

Last edited:
   / Blew a gasket or something. #3  
Is this a Kohler command or magnum? Is it possible that someone left the old filter gasket on the engine when the oil was last changed? Remove the oil filter and you will most likely expose the retaining screw(s).

Jim

/ Blew a gasket or something. #5  
The parts breakdown shows an oil filter adapter with a gasket between it and the block. It appears to be held on by a 1/4" sized allen bolt. As I suggested earlier, the filter must be removed for access. Could be that you just have a screw loose.:D

Jim