Block Heater Working?

/ Block Heater Working? #1  

MYOLFarm

Tractor
none yet
Got a ck3510 se, I've questioned my block heater before but tractor always starts, it was below zero this weekend, had it plugged in but tractor would not start, I can put my hand on the block heater and it is stone cold as well as all surrounding areas of the block so I have to assume it is NOT working, anybody else see this ? Thank you.

/ Block Heater Working? #3  
Check the cord. They do deteriorate at the engine block.

A tarp and small 1500 watt heater will work well in an emergency.

/ Block Heater Working? #4  
Got a ck3510 se, I've questioned my block heater before but tractor always starts, it was below zero this weekend, had it plugged in but tractor would not start, I can put my hand on the block heater and it is stone cold as well as all surrounding areas of the block so I have to assume it is NOT working, anybody else see this ? Thank you.
How long had it been plugged in?

/ Block Heater Working? #5  
You can put an ohm meter across the terminals to read the resistance. A 400w 120v block heater should read about 36 ohms.

/ Block Heater Working?
You can put an ohm meter across the terminals to read the resistance. A 400w 120v block heater should read about 36 ohms.
OK, thanks, was going to try this but had no ohm # to ref

/ Block Heater Working?
Check the cord. They do deteriorate at the engine block.

A tarp and small 1500 watt heater will work well in an emergency.
great idea, thanks

/ Block Heater Working? #10  
Overnight
I normally can feel some heat having it plugged in for 2 hours so overnight should definitely make it warm to the touch. Make sure your extension cord has power to the end of it. Also, a common failure point is the connection of the heater cord to the element...check that.