BLOWBY

/ BLOWBY #1  

Anonymous Poster

Any mechanics out ther have any idea why an engine with only 800hrs on it would go from no blowby to medium smoke out of the breather with a hot oil smell this happened all of a sudden and for no reason the tractor was not run hard or over worked the engine is in a 1520 ford thanks for your help

/ BLOWBY #2  
Have you changed brands or viscosity of the engine oil, or exceeded the recommended drain interval? does the tractor typically run for short periods, idle a lot, and/or not reach operating temperature in a reasonable length of time? Is there fuel/oil residue slobbering out of the muffler or exhaust manifold connections?

/ BLOWBY #3  
BradS
I've worked on diesels for 25 years now. On a 4cycle diesel there is only one thing that cause excessive blowby...... compression is leaking into the crankcase.
There are however several reasons compression can leak into the crankcase.

A crack in a piston (usually accompanied by a skip though).

Weak or broken compression ring(s)...(just one ring could cause excessive blowy and not cause other noticable symptoms, more than one ring usually causes hard starting, lots of white smoke at startup)

Check for other symptoms and get back to us, I'm sure we can help you figure it out. Some other things to check for are.... water being pushed out of the radiator, oil consumption excessive, hard starting, loss of power, white smoke while trying to start.....

/ BLOWBY #4  
hi i have been a new holland mechanic for 15 years. first ? what brand of air filters are you useing next remove the air cleaner hose were it hooks on the intake manifold see if there is any dirt or grime in the 90' bend of hoes then report back to me good luck
gary

/ BLOWBY
THE blowby started all of a sudden tractor lost power but the dealer found the problem a dirty injector pump that was fixed also the injectors were gone over cleaned ect now the tractor runs like new almost no smoke out exhaust only a little when started cold new oil filter air filter only 13 hrs ago. tractor has good compression in all 3 cyls dealer says about 450lbs in each. the tractor was not left to idle for long periods of time or worked excessively hard when i got the tractor it had no blowby now a stesdy stream of smoke out breather also im seeing slight moisture in breather cap but no bubbles in rad and no water in the oil boy am i baffeled thanks for your help