Bobcat blew a hose

/ Bobcat blew a hose #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Had a little excitement yesterday, went up to fire off the bobcat just to make sure everything was running and let the oil circulate a bit etc.

Finally got it running, and had warmed up a bit, lifted the bucket and was going up and down with the bucket a bit and then ramping up my speed control and noticed it sounded different and saw something out of the corner of my eye.

A lift cylinder hose had blown back behind my head where it had been weather exposed and dry rotted. I had known about it since buying Bob, and just always felt it was just the outer jacket so no big deal...

Well, luckily when it blew the hole was pointed more up, then forward, had it been more forward it would have sprayed me in the back of the head.. That is a thought I don't like to contemplate out there by myself on the property on a running bobcat....

So, two new hoses are definetely called for, and I think a couple of those other really weather checked ones may just get changed as a preventative measure.

So my point of the thread, and maybe I should have put it in "safety" is you may just take a second to look over those weather checked and cracked hoses on your equipment, and contemplate what will likely happen if it fails.

I had just become too comfortable with, "those hoses look bad" and should have changed them earlier.

/ Bobcat blew a hose #2  
AllenB,
I learned a long time ago that if the cover is broken then the wires will rust in short order and then the hose is weak and will blow when the first heavy load is placed on it.
I just replaced the two hoses on the auger for my Kanga because the wires were exposed. cost me $70 because I had to buy the quick connects too since the originals are Austrailian.

This morning I was moving some dirt with the 4n1 bucket and noticed that one of the clamp hoses would catch on the tilt cylinder fitting and made a note that I needed to tiewrap the hoses together. On the next pick up the hose got caught and snapped off the clamp hose fitting. A new fitting cost me $1.70 but now I can't easy out the broken piece and will have to replace the manifold with a tee, not expensive, just a pain in the butt because I didn't stop right then and put that tiewrap on.

/ Bobcat blew a hose #3  
I have replaced six hoses so far on my 580, some were weather checked an some weren't. A hose with a cracked outer jacket may last five more years or five minutes, you never know with used equipment. If the wire is exposed it is probably doomed as stated above.

Was replacing three hoses today in wind chills in the -15 degree range. Man I need to get that barn built!

/ Bobcat blew a hose #4  
Well I got my 4n1 working again but had to abandon the original manifold block since it was threaded British Standard Pipe Thread. Instead I got a 1/4" tee and two American flair fittings for the hoses. This hose operates the open function of the clamp so the pressure is lower than the other hose which closes the clamp.
I also mounted the 4n1 on the trailer after building a rack for it. Only have to build a mount for the forks and finish tie downs to be done. I'm not going to mount the trencher but let it sit on the floor, I'll have to back on the trailer to get it since the power unit tries to rear up without an implement mounted. However I can turn 180 degrees on the trailer and pick up the trencher then back off.
I try to practice operating the unit often and am getting a lot better at it. The power pole that I set last Friday passed inspection today so I can bill the customer now and buy more toys.

/ Bobcat blew a hose
I definetely think it was the exposure of the wires too the elements that was the demise of this hose. I could have probably made it last a lot longer with a cover. It now lives under a shed, but it spent most of it's life outside, and is about to be moved outside again as it is going to loose it's shed to become part of my shop.

I still have not broken loose to get the replacements made yet this week. They are riding around in the back of my truck.

Maybe this weekend.