Boomer 50 for small hay operation

/ Boomer 50 for small hay operation #1  

Little General

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 w cab Kubota x1100c Kubota KX008 John Deere 4400 , JD TLB110
I have 14 acres in hay at the present time and can add maybe 4 more. I have a John Deere TBL110 that I can remove the backhoe and a John Deere 4400 utility tractor. I have no hay equipment right now and don't know if I even want to get into haying. My neighbor has been cutting my fields for the last 16 years for the hay plus he does the fertilizer and lime. He is having health problems and I don't know how much longer he will be able to cut hay or deal with his cows. I don't need the hay but I can sell it to the local horse guys near me or just stop cutting hay and mow the fields for looks. My house sits right in the middle of the 22 acres I have and I want to keep the fields looking good because its my front lawn.. For tax purposes I am listed as hay farm which cuts my property taxes in half. My question is ...if I were to continue haying or just mowing, would a Boomer 50 with a cab be a good choice? I know it can operate a cutter and rakes, but is 40 pto Hp enough for a baler? There are all sorts of farms around Charlotte NC getting squeezed out of business and I can pick up used hay equipment later. I fight allergies and if I even cut the fields, I'm getting something with a cab. I Have 2 NH dealers close to me, one I have been buying construction equipment from all my life. What is you guys opinion?

/ Boomer 50 for small hay operation #2  
40hp should be more than enough power for haying. We hay about 200ac a year with x2 Massey 135’s which is only around 40hp. Weight is the main thing to worry about. Balers are heavy, probably for your sized tractor you’re looking at you will end up with an old baler- nh made a good compact baler. Without spending big $$$ you will struggle to get a newer baler that’s would be very light!
In terms of a rake I know some people will say different but I’d always size my rake based on the size of my baler. For my Massey 20-8 baler we use a 8 wheel v rake which is near perfect sized for it!
Wish you all the best with haying! I’m sure others will give you further advice

/ Boomer 50 for small hay operation #3  
This guy in Holland, uses a Boomer 50 for his Horse farm, where is does all kinds of tasks with it, including cutting, raking and baling hay.

Here is his channel:

DutchHorseGuy
- YouTube

/ Boomer 50 for small hay operation #4  
I would be looking for a Ford 3000 or a Massey Ferguson 135, a New Holland 472 or 488 or Hesston 1110 or 1120 haybine, a New Holland Rollabar rake with a dolly wheel, a 2 basket pull behind tedder and a JD 336 or newer or a New Holland 273 or newer baler, with a rear hitch, and a couple of hay wagons and you’re in business. Probably need a good set of tools and hand degreaser too - but the above items are plentiful and lower cost.

Good luck.

/ Boomer 50 for small hay operation
Well, I guess the boomer is out. My local dealer and family friend , my grandfather traded horses with this company, said he would not sell me a Boomer. He suggested a Kubota L6060 with a cab instead. Its actually in my budget and for starters I will get an 84" finish mower with the tractor to keep my 19 acres of hay field mowed in between hay growing. My house sits in the middle of the fields and i want it to look good. I takes me about 6 hours or more to mow it with a 5 ft bushhog mower on the back of my JD 110 TLB so I hope the L6060 will cut that in half.