Brakes binding on MF 35

/ Brakes binding on MF 35 #1  

FordnMassey

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 3000 and MF35
Hi,

I have an issue with the brakes on my 1965 Massey Ferguson 35. The brakes work very well and are able to lock the wheels with medium pedal pressure, but after releasing them, they often continue to drag moderately. A short run in reverse releases them. Bouncing my foot on the pedals sometimes releases them. There is ample free play in the pedals. The springs and linkages inside the drum have been greased and the issue improved but didn't stop.

My feeling is that the springs are not strong enough to draw the shoes back in away from the drums, but as the springs and linkages appear fine, I can't understand why.

Thoughts?

/ Brakes binding on MF 35 #2  
Even though you have great brakes sounds like they need adjusted up. "Ample free play in the pedals" is the giveaway. The rod going in the back of the brake drum has a "T" on the end called a cam. The T spreads the brake shoes. Brake shoes may be worn enough, or the cam is also worn some and the cam is as far as it can go and wedge's in there basically crossways. Backing up or bouncing the pedals will let it release.

If you've ever adjusted drum brakes on a car or truck, same thing. Jack both the wheels up enough the wheels turn. If the plug is still there, remove and take a brake spoon, or large flat blade screwdriver and adjust brake up until it starts to drag. Then turn adjuster the opposite direction just enough the brake releases and turns easily and you can hear/feel them not dragging. Do both, then check pedals to see if they are even, so when you use both brakes to stop, one doesn't activate before the other. Not that big of a deal going slow, but if on the road and need to stop quick, or with a load behind. one activating before the other could send you in a direction you may not want to go.

/ Brakes binding on MF 35
Even though you have great brakes sounds like they need adjusted up. "Ample free play in the pedals" is the giveaway. The rod going in the back of the brake drum has a "T" on the end called a cam. The T spreads the brake shoes. Brake shoes may be worn enough, or the cam is also worn some and the cam is as far as it can go and wedge's in there basically crossways. Backing up or bouncing the pedals will let it release.

If you've ever adjusted drum brakes on a car or truck, same thing. Jack both the wheels up enough the wheels turn. If the plug is still there, remove and take a brake spoon, or large flat blade screwdriver and adjust brake up until it starts to drag. Then turn adjuster the opposite direction just enough the brake releases and turns easily and you can hear/feel them not dragging. Do both, then check pedals to see if they are even, so when you use both brakes to stop, one doesn't activate before the other. Not that big of a deal going slow, but if on the road and need to stop quick, or with a load behind. one activating before the other could send you in a direction you may not want to go.
Hi DJ54,

Thanks for the reply and sorry I'm slow in getting back to you.

I reckon you'll be spot on with that explanation. This tractor is worn all over and I can imagine those cams are worn and moving so far that the springs can't reverse them. I'll try adjusting them up it in the coming days and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

/ Brakes binding on MF 35 #4  
Welcome.