Brands to Avoid??

/ Brands to Avoid?? #11  
Stay away from anything JCB or TEREX dirt equipment.

I don't know if you mean a specific item or the brand....but I've owed a JCB backhoe/loader for something like 15 or more years. Bought it used of course...

I've replaced:

exhaust pipe
Repacked all cylinders over time
Replaced a couple hoses that I burst when i snagged them
Heck, I still have some of the hoses that were on it when I bought it
Replaced fuel sending unit
That's most of what I can think of.

Thing is strong, digs deep and runs like a swiss watch.... gotta love that Perkins.

I am 'just a home owner' and don't use it for commercial use so maybe that comes into play (??)

After the experience I've had thus-far, I would not avoid a JCB as a brand.... perhaps a specific unit is trashed, but I've had a very good experience with my unit.

/ Brands to Avoid?? #12  
I also have a friend that has an old JCB and it has been good and trouble. But I knew two guys that had those backhoes with the 4 big tires and four wheel steering from the early 90's? and they had lots of electronic issues with them. So they got caught where they couldn't put them into gear because it was electronic.
So I don't know how the new ones are now. But they sure have a lot of nice design features in them.

The problem here is complete lack of dealers. So people here complain of parts availability.

I sure love that new 1CXT though. It's a cross between a CTL and a backhoe.

Attachments

• 1cxtracked1_10244146.jpg
    1cxtracked1_10244146.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 258
   / Brands to Avoid?? #13  
I don't know if you mean a specific item or the brand....but I've owed a JCB backhoe/loader for something like 15 or more years. Bought it used of course...

I've replaced:

exhaust pipe
Repacked all cylinders over time
Replaced a couple hoses that I burst when i snagged them
Heck, I still have some of the hoses that were on it when I bought it
Replaced fuel sending unit
That's most of what I can think of.

Thing is strong, digs deep and runs like a swiss watch.... gotta love that Perkins.

I am 'just a home owner' and don't use it for commercial use so maybe that comes into play (??)

After the experience I've had thus-far, I would not avoid a JCB as a brand.... perhaps a specific unit is trashed, but I've had a very good experience with my unit.

Ive worked on construction/rental equipment of all types. I worked for a JCB dealer and they were very problematic with electrical problems when we had them.
JCB and terex both have some parts sourcing, extremely high parts costs or wait times for delivery issues.
A terex 760 backhoe is a much better digging machine than say a case 580 due to weight difference. But even though they are great while they are working they are a pain when they go bad unless its just something simple.

/ Brands to Avoid?? #14  
All machines break down, so you want to avoid problems with parts availability and servicing.

If you have a sucky Caterpillar Dealer, then it would be in your best interest to avoid that machine, and likewise any other dealership that sucks. (I am not slamming Cat here, I am just using that as an example).

Myself, I am not brand-loyal, and actually love John Deere, but as everyone in the industry knows, their parts are just plain Bovine Pasture Droppings. They are outrageously expensive, though they are a dream to operate. Parts that should cost $30, cost $90, and then there is that whole Supreme Court nonsense that they semi-lost/semi-won that still makes my blood boil. I am still boycotting them for that reason.

So really that is the kind of stuff that you should be finding out.

Like JCB; I don't want to turn this into brand-bashing, but I have heard from owners that due to the importation cost of parts, that is a machine to avoid. It is not that they are not good machines, but parts cost like John Deere parts...really high...and you want to avoid that.