Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems #1  

jswann1975

Tractor
branson 7845
I've got a 7845. Had some problems unrelated to electric, took to dealer for repair, it came back with an auxilary electric fuel pump installed. Was running tractor and 5a fuse burned up that controls both the charging system and the control panel/dash/gauges, etc. Tractor runs fine but battery runs down and I can't monitor fuel or temperature (which is not ok during hay season when I need this machine the most). I replaced 5a fuse and it burned out immediately. Tried with a 10a and it burned out immediately. Tried with a 20a and it burned out immediately... I know fuses are there to protect electrical components so I'd like to resolve before I have a fire, blow up the motor from overheating, etc. I'm not super great with wiring or electricity but I'm also not a complete dumbass. My suspicion is that it is shorting or grounding out somewhere it is not supposed to but I don't really know. My first hunch was that wiring the auxilary fuel pump in may have put too much of a load on that circuit, but since it worked for a while (maybe four hours total), then the 5a, 10a, and 20a all burned out within ten seconds that suggests that it is not the pump drawing too much load. Maybe the place where it it was spliced in was done poorly or is shorting? What is the process or procedure that I'd use to chase this down and eliminate the problem?

Further info, may or may not be related, I tried taking the fuse out of the panel that the auxiliary electric fuel pump is wired to and tractor would not start. Does this mean that the fuel pump on my tractor is also broken but the dealer just did a workaround and didn't tell me about it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. It seems like a general wiring/electric/fuse problem rather than a specific Branson problem.

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems #2  
When does the fuse blow? When you turn the switch to the on position, or after you go to start position, or after tractor is running?

BTW a bigger fuse is never the answer.

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems
When I go to start position the dials/gauges light up. When I go to crank it and it starts the dash panel goes black.

I suspected the larger fuses were a bad idea, but open to all reminders and corrections!

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems
The tractor did run four or five hours between time I got back from the dealer repair and the time the first fuse blew... if that detail helps

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems #5  
Sounds like the short is in the charging system. I would start by looking closely at all the wiring associated with that.

I would also rig a 12vdc light to go across where the fuse goes. With a short the light will be on. Once you correct the short the light will go off.

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems #6  
Why not bring it back to the Dealer to correct what they got wrong?

I have a 2003 Century 2535 that is the same thing as a Branson. I bought it new and it was great for quite awhile, then I started having issues with the electrical system. I replaced the problem, it worked great, and then it was something else. This went on for years and I finally became so frustrated that I pulled every wire out of it and only connected what was needed for it to run. It's been 3 years since I did that and it was the best thing that I could of done. It fires up instantly every time, it seems to have more power, but I don't know why, it's just a seat of the pants feeling when operating it. But best of all, I like the tractor again.

/ Branson 7845 electric, wiring and fuse problems #7  
Yep you need wiring diagram .... Sounds like short circuit in wiring.... Do you even know if added electric fuel pump is even wired into fuse that is blowing?...