Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards!

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #31  
Problem has been resolved. New armeture. Also new starter pinion gear. Thanks!
-Backman

So now the engine would have to be running Counter-clockwise earlier post said it was running clockwise when you had the problem.

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #32  
So now the engine would have to be running Counter-clockwise earlier post said it was running clockwise when you had the problem.

I don't know of any Briggs engine that doesn't run clockwise. When he said his engine was running clockwise, I took that to mean he was mistaken about it running backwards. That's why I wanted to know something other than "backwards." It appears the engine was running uncontrolled in the clockwise (correct) direction, but something was amiss in the drivetrain or drive belt.

BTW: I think you guys are being much too hard on this fellow by saying, "BS." I don't know any motivation for making up a story like this. I think he was truly baffled by something wrong. By calling his post BS, he may be offended to the point of not posting again. I sure would like to know more, but I fear we may never hear from him again because his problem was called BS.:(

EDIT: Starter motors run in a CCW direction because that turns the flywheel in a clockwise direction. All I have seen will automatically disengage from the flywheel when turned CW.

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #33  
Good post Jim. Sometimes we get carried away trying to make a point--not good. What we really want to do is solve the problem so that everyone learns from it.
Thanks.

/ Briggs 18hp twin runs backwards! #34  
If it ran Ok forward and you havnt taken it apart and recammed it, it wont run backward well ... or at all if its a single. Running backward would imply intake thru the muffler followed directly by exhaust thru the carb. Im assuming its a 2 cyl with a single carb. Depending on how the cyls are timed wrt one another I guess exhaust thru the carb could possibbly force gas into the other cyls backward exhaust stroke during valve overlap. Could make it possible to run -- but no power. By rights it should be a fire.
larry

I have one of these motors, it is a twin fed with a single carb. Maybe this is possible with this configuration but not with a single cylinder. More info would be nice.