Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help #11  
I think if that were mine, I'd fab a new brace out of steel and remove and replace what is there. Would that work.

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help #13  
Take a look at the original fit to the bucket's cutting edge. That's what should be carring most of the force. My Markham was a pretty good fit as built but I took a grinder to one tooth to get a real tight fit. If you have a good fit to the cutting edge welding may be good enough. It's your time & your welding rod, and you don't have to tell a soul if it don't work. :D MikeD74T

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help #14  
I agree with Alan.. it was welde donce.. so weld it again with good prep.. 6011 and lots o' juice.. then that nicer 7018 on top.

soundguy

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help #15  
It will need the pre-heat 4-500 and a post weld anneal. That's more insurance against weld cracking.

I suspect that the root cause was the tooth bar was installed too loose. There should be zero gap or wiggle of the teeth when installed.

jb

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help #16  
Yeah, it's a tooth.
"V" it all around, clamp tight and weld it all around. If it breaks again, big deal.
Your combo of 6011 root weld and 7018 finish sounds perfect to me.

/ Broke a tiger tooth - Welding help
Just to let you know I finally got time to make my repair. I V it out deep and used 7018 all the way at about 150 amps DCEP. I let it cool and hit it again to make it strong. It looks to be a good fix. I reinforce all the other teeth on the back side. I will try to send pics. I decided to v deep and not root it with 6011. I felt 7018 would be much more tough to break. Thx alot for everybodies input. It is not the most beautiful weld I have done but penetration looked good and it will probably out last the other teeth.