Brush Hog mods

/ Brush Hog mods
These brush cutters are really meant to run with the skids on the ground, that's why there isn't really a need for a tail wheel that will only get bent eventually considering the stuff we back these in to.

I use chains on mine and I have 3 positions for the skids. For my ground, since I know what's there, I run as low as possible. It's cutting at about 1 to 1.5" from the ground. When mowing for someone else, I tend to raise the skids to it cuts about 3" from the ground. The skids always ride on the ground.

View attachment 835920
Looks like it is doing a good job there. I don't think my no cost conversion is cutting nearly as clean. The main difference may be the length of the chains and the rpms. Mine is running 540 rpm while yours is 1080, I believe.

Last edited:
   / Brush Hog mods #152  
Looks like it is doing a good job there. I don't think my no cost conversion is cutting nearly as clean. The main difference may be the length of the chains and the rpms. Mine is running 570 rpm while yours is 1040, I believe.
Purty good for an ole country boy!

/ Brush Hog mods
Brought the chain mower into the shop and hung it from the forklift so I could hardface the skids. My first time applying hardface.
She passed the test season. Now it's time to ensure it wears a long time. The underside looked good. Chains clean and showing little wear.
Greased it and put her away for a couple more months of 'winter'

Last edited:
   / Brush Hog mods
Mowing season is upon us. Untended fields approaching 3ft. Some of it is pretty thick, rocky and uneven where the slasher excels. But some is pretty smooth and flat and I wanted to see the results on fine grasses. The results are good. I sure cuts close. A short cut which is more of a tear to the sem than a clean cut should result in slower growth recovery from what I read.
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 44
   / Brush Hog mods #155  
Mowing season is upon us. Untended fields approaching 3ft. Some of it is pretty thick, rocky and uneven where the slasher excels. But some is pretty smooth and flat and I wanted to see the results on fine grasses. The results are good. I sure cuts close. A short cut which is more of a tear to the sem than a clean cut should result in slower growth recovery from what I read.
Here are some pics

That's true indeed. Although this dang brush still grows too fast!!!

I mowed lots of canes 3 days ago. It was much to my surprise once I arrived at the land today, those things were already 4" high!

Anyway, used my brush cutter in some tight spots today as well. Of course I hit the cast iron stove hidden in the brush yet again. No issues, just some racketing noises of the chains hitting it but all is well.

Brush was about 3 to 4 ft tall and very very dense.

IMG_20240413_170943.jpg

/ Brush Hog mods #156  
Is there any more/less vibration with chains as opposed to blades?

/ Brush Hog mods
Is there any more/less vibration with chains as opposed to blades?
Hard question; there is no vibration until I ground the chains or move too fast through very heavy brush...much like the blades I think. So no noticeable difference. You can hear the chains hit the shroud when the bounce off the ground. I tend to cut as short as possible with this machine because there are no blades to knick or dull.

/ Brush Hog mods #159  
Looking good. I can tell it lacks some more RPM but it's looking good regardless.