Bucket chain almost bit me

/ Bucket chain almost bit me #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I posted this in Owning/Operating but since it is safety related I will summarize it here:

I was moving heavy items, using two chains, each connected to a hook on the top side of the bucket. Wrap around my item, lift and go.

Finished up, and tossed the chains in the bucket. Was returning to base at moderate speed, then slowed down. Chain hook fell out of bucket, pulled chain out with it. Faster than I could react, all the chain then came out with one exception. The other end was still attached to the bucket hook. It immediately straightened behind the bucket since I was still traveling forward and then it went under the right front wheel!!! Once it got pinned under the wheel, with me still traveling forward, it started pulling down on the bucket. A very uncomfortable thing to be watching. Fortunately, I had slowed way down, was paying attention, and immediately stopped when some force started to be applied to the bucket and loader arm. I slowly backed up to release the tension on the chain. I looked things over and all seems well.

I don't know what would have happened if this happened 10 seconds earlier when I was moving at a much faster rate. But I don't think it would have been pretty. From now on, when I toss a chain back in a bucket, it will be unhooked from the grab hook on the bucket.

I try to be careful but I had never anticipated something like this at all.

/ Bucket chain almost bit me #2  
I never would have thought of that one - thanks for sharing!

/ Bucket chain almost bit me #3  
Well, that is a new one. Thanks for posting the lesson.

/ Bucket chain almost bit me #4  
I flung a tree off of my forks by running over a dangling branch. I don't know what would have happened had you been running at speed, but you would have had your front wheels in the air, at least.

/ Bucket chain almost bit me #5  
Thanks for sharing that story!