Bug Eaters Finally Show Up

/ Bug Eaters Finally Show Up #11  
Was pleasantly surprised when I saw they had moved in. One thing they told me was important was to get it pretty high in the air. This one is around 20 feet high. I thought the wasp might keep them away but I guess not.

I suspect the wasps were just breakfast for them.

Yes, my bat book says they prefer very high houses. I have also seen that they really like vertical surfaces, like the side of your barn, as a mounting surface for a bat house.

Attachments

• bats.jpg
    bats.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 67
   / Bug Eaters Finally Show Up
View attachment 660102This one lives in a vent near where he was photographed.
How do I get it out to a bat box without hurting it?
Any good bat box designs?

I really do not know. We had bats in the soffit on a previous house. I found the place they were going in and out and attached some heavy plastic over it. They could still get out but could not get back in. Then after a few days I took the plastic down and sealed the gap they were going in. That house was in heavy timber with a lot of shag bark hickory trees. That seemed to be a favorite of the bats in that area.

Lots of bat house plans on the Internet.

Try: bat house plans - Google Search

/ Bug Eaters Finally Show Up #13  
Very interesting 4 1/2 minutes of looking at your 'bat house' on a pole. (NOT) Or are my eyes just bad? Excuse me, that comment was ugly. Sorry.

Either way, I'd be surprised if bats select your dwelling being so out in the opening. I've had the best luck mounting bat houses up in trees. I have one on the side of a storage building had been absolutely empty for 6 years now. Those mounted up in pine trees have usually been occupied within 2 years. I'm assuming that you do have interior posts, probably dowel rods, added for easy hanging?

I sincerely do wish you the best of luck though. Having bats around my place has provided a mosquito free area although in the middle of an area with creeks, ponds everywhere, and other inviting places for mosquitoes to thrive. Now... if only bats would eat ticks, I'd be thrilled beyond belief.

/ Bug Eaters Finally Show Up
Haha, you must have watched it on your phone or a smaller sized screen. If you watch it on a larger screen it shows the bats coming out. My wife says there were 113 of them during the time we videoed. Just glad to have them find the house.

Actually here the bats we have want something in the open and high. I was told if I put it in a tree they would not use it. As I am not a bat expert I went with what the experts told me.

Yes, bats will eat a LOT of mosquitoes, and I really dislike mosquitoes. Yes eating ticks would be a benefit, I think you need Guineas for that. :)

/ Bug Eaters Finally Show Up #15  
And the lack of coyotes, coons, owls, hawks and eagles which eat the guineas.