Build a Heater or Buy?

/ Build a Heater or Buy?
I'm in the process today of finishing building the cab. I bought a cheap heater core for $30 today at Advanced Auto Parts since I was in town anyway. I also picked up a cheap DC fan at Walmart but I don't think it will be strong enough. Plan is to mount it in the front right of the cab down low and use pvc piping to make defrost in the front and rear windshields. A friend helping me suggested just drilling a few holes, like a water broom, in the pvc and it will then defrost even without having to make louvers.

I got a few pics of the frame of the cab coming but I'll make one post for all of that.

**** cold and windy today. We'll see how well the Shelter Logic tent works with a diesel heater.

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #12  
I'm in the process today of finishing building the cab. I bought a cheap heater core for $30 today at Advanced Auto Parts since I was in town anyway. I also picked up a cheap DC fan at Walmart but I don't think it will be strong enough. Plan is to mount it in the front right of the cab down low and use pvc piping to make defrost in the front and rear windshields. A friend helping me suggested just drilling a few holes, like a water broom, in the pvc and it will then defrost even without having to make louvers.

I got a few pics of the frame of the cab coming but I'll make one post for all of that.

**** cold and windy today. We'll see how well the Shelter Logic tent works with a diesel heater.

I was thinking th esame thing with PVC drill some holes all in a row for an air knife.

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #13  
I was thinking th esame thing with PVC drill some holes all in a row for an air knife.

saw blade via a table saw or an endmill if you happen to have a milling machine, or a router would make a slot which would allow more air, and still keep it directional. Drilling enough holes to get sufficent air flow would take some time...
David from jax

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #14  
I bought a Curtis cab 3-4 years back and went through several winters trying not to breathe too much while inside cleaning up after a snow storm. I wrestled with the thought of cobbling up a heater just as you gents are describing now - in the end my wife gifted me with a hot water heater from Curtis through dealer Northwood Power Equipment. Slick unit, heat can be directed at the pilot or the glass and it keeps the windshield (and most of the glass rear window) clear. I was able to use the fabrication time I saved to build an overhead switch box for the wipers, utilty lights and heater.

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #15  
15 years ago I was driving a 1973 jeep cj5 with a seriously drafty soft top. It had a replacement fiberglass body and absolutely none of the original heater parts. I drove it for two winters in western Massachusetts with no heat, no defroster. I used to drive hunched over with one hand between my leg and the seat to keep warm. I was in college and had no money at the time. A friend gave me a heater core out of a '77 dodge tradesman van, and I had a electric radiator cooling fan from a 1990 VW fox. I put it all together in a box that was maybe 14"x14"X12". The fan pushed air through the radiator core mounted at the front of the box. I put the box in the back between the front seats so that the heat was pushed forward towards the windshield. It worked so well that I would have to shut it off every five minutes so that I didn't die of heat exhaustion.

Funny thing is, to this day I sometimes catch myself driving in the winter, hunched over with one of my hands under my leg, with no heat on. Then I realize I'm in my truck and reach over and turn the knob. Old habits die hard...

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #16  
Someone please explain what is do undesirable about the electric cab heaters? A warm cab is better than freezing your butt off right? Or am I missing something?

/ Build a Heater or Buy?
15 years ago I was driving a 1973 jeep cj5 with a seriously drafty soft top. It had a replacement fiberglass body and absolutely none of the original heater parts. I drove it for two winters in western Massachusetts with no heat, no defroster. I used to drive hunched over with one hand between my leg and the seat to keep warm. I was in college and had no money at the time. A friend gave me a heater core out of a '77 dodge tradesman van, and I had a electric radiator cooling fan from a 1990 VW fox. I put it all together in a box that was maybe 14"x14"X12". The fan pushed air through the radiator core mounted at the front of the box. I put the box in the back between the front seats so that the heat was pushed forward towards the windshield. It worked so well that I would have to shut it off every five minutes so that I didn't die of heat exhaustion.

Funny thing is, to this day I sometimes catch myself driving in the winter, hunched over with one of my hands under my leg, with no heat on. Then I realize I'm in my truck and reach over and turn the knob. Old habits die hard...

That's an awesome story of making due with what you have got and/or can afford.

Its not that I don't want an electric heater or that I can't afford a $300 heater...just the principle that there isn't much to them and I figure I can build one for way less. I have it roughly made and just found a 3 position switch so I don't pull a TRETECH and pass out from too much heat lol.

So far I have a new heater core from Advanced Auto for $30, a radiator fan from Advanced Auto for $45 and a switch from Napa or $16. All held together by some scrap plywood that wasn't going to get used anyway....so far I'm winning. We'll see.

With the homemade cab, space is a premium. Where did all you guys mount your heaters at. I'm thinking above and to the right of me, out of sight lines and heater hoses can run under the tractor up the back of the tractor to the core. Any thoughts?

Pics to come if it works :thumbsup:

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #18  
Drove a 68 VW in college so am aware of the no heat thing. I am not aware of a electric heater that works as advertised. Have tried many but usually really unhappy. Best so far has been a very small propane heater mounted on a board. With the space limitations in a cab the solutions so far seem great.

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #19  
My heater is mounted front top right with hoses following the cab post.
In my cab that position is the least invasive and being high blowing downwards the windshield gets 'defogged' and my feet get warmed.
My torso gets the leftovers. LOL
I never need gloves and generally need to remove my parks
My heater core is a carter (from school bus) 6" X 6" X 2" pushed with a computer 12 volt muffin fan.
Hook up used standard 1/2" copper pipe covered with tubular foam pipe insulation with automotive heater hose under the hood.
It is a 2 speed. On or off!

/ Build a Heater or Buy? #20  
Mine is a about 8 inch's square and sits in the right rear corner of the cab atop the fender, pulls outside air from underneath, ducted to windshield and windows with PCV pipe.

Good location for me, out of the way. Used heater hoses draped along the fender.