Building a Lumber Kiln

/ Building a Lumber Kiln #1  

123maxbars

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
This the first video in a series that I will be producing on how I build a chamber for my new Woodmizer Dry Kiln. For those whom are not familiar with the term it is a building used to dry lumber after I process it on my sawmill.
This first video shows the delivery of the Kiln and I talk for a few minutes about the upcoming process. Not a lot of excitement but thought I would share since I plan on showing the entire build in future videos.

BUILDING A KILN PART 1 - YouTube

/ Building a Lumber Kiln #2  
Yeah, I built a dehumidifier kiln about 15 years ago in my shop. Took one corner of the shop, built a well insulated 8x14x7' high room, painted the inside with mobile home roof coating for a good vapor barrier, then set an old 22,000 BTU window AC on a shelf in the room.

Whole lot cheaper (like free for hauling off) than a nice Woodmizer unit, and does the same thing. Heats the room to about 130 degrees, moisture comes off the wood, hits the cold coil on the unit, water drips in a bucket. Starting with 18-20% MC air dry wood, it will pull a five gallon bucket per 24hrs off a 1000 Bdft load. When it drops to about pint/day, the wood is in the 6-7% range.

ry%3D400