Building our new dam

/ Building our new dam #81  
Ole Mother Nature is generally pretty passive. But when she claps her hands you better pay attention.

I am not comfortable with large weather swings. Sounds like you are experiencing them. Hope things calm down for you. Good to hear you and yours got thru it with little damage or loss. :)

/ Building our new dam
Yes, I reckon I've waited six months through a hot dry summer for this dam (and the top dam as well) to fill - watering the grass on the bank to establish it also helped empty the top dam, but it was definitely worth it. I walked around the bank again after work checking - yet again - for anything untoward, and can't believe how well the grass, especially the kikuyu and cooch are doing now the daytime temperature is cooler. I hope there's still 6-8 weeks of growing season left before winter, it won't completely cover the bank but maybe 60-70%, which will be a good start point when spring arrives.
Almost forgot to mention - yesterday I was able to drive our loader out of where it sank into that soft soil. Strangely, there was still water in the holes around both bogged wheels - couldn't have dried out much.
But I still think we were quite fortunate compared to what others went through - only a few miles from here a family's house was washed off its foundations and floated away. The Emergency Services boat crew evacuated the family from the roof only 15 minutes beforehand - absolute heroes.
We were really lucky to only have been flooded in for four days, no power for three days - running our generator about three hours three times a day. I could even link up our neighbour's house water-pump, refrigerator and freezer as well. We has things set up rather well. The other neighbours have their own generator, and anyone else is too far away to run cables. All we could do was contend with it and wait it out.

/ Building our new dam
I thought it's about time to show how things have progressed, although watching grass grow is a rather uneventful hobby. :laughing:

Her's how it looked just over one year ago, with grass seed just sprouting:
3 Weeks Later (1).jpg

Last weekend I trimmed the mostly kikuyu and cooch grass with a slasher (brush-hog) to encourage it to both thicken and look neater and tidier. Here are some pics -
Before: DSC02501.jpg & After: DSC02512.jpg DSC02508.jpg DSC02511.jpg

It still needs to cover some places and to thicken up in several areas - more time, water and fertiliser required. It gets fertiliser every 3-4 weeks and I water it every 3-4 days in winter and every second day in the summer. That said, we've had long-awaited rain for a week - about 160mm (6.5") of nice soaking rain, with a bit more forecast after a couple sunny days. Everywhere is now suddenly green!

BTW, I've used about 75% of the water in this dam, but none from the other one. Only a little ran into it during the rain, but there's not been any heavy rain yet.

/ Building our new dam #84  
Fun pics. Love seeing a dam become part of the landscape and not just a mound of dirt. Why did you leave those trees there?