Bulb pricing

/ Bulb pricing #1  

Coffee drinker

Bronze Member
Tractor
7320 Deere
The other day I bought 2 bulbs (Philips brand) for the the headlights on mine kubota RTV 1100 from a Bumper to Bumper for $8.5 apiece. Out of curiosity I phoned the Kubota dealer in the same city for a price, and they wanted $44 apiece. Is their a difference in those bulbs or is that just a ridiculous markup?

/ Bulb pricing #2  
Is their a difference in those bulbs or is that just a ridiculous markup?
Same as any dealer part, ridiculous markup, no doubt the Philips bulb is better or as good. I was just ranting on another forum about snowblower belts, $100 from a stealer, $20-$30 brand name aftermarket. I haven't heard of a dealer price very often that isn't crazy.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Bulb pricing #3  
I had a broken taillight on my Kubota BX several years ago. Going by my memory the taillight was less than $15 and they wanted $8 for the bulb. I think I bought a bulb at a auto parts store for a buck.

/ Bulb pricing #4  
Just keep in mind that the dealer is also paying those ripoff prices from their OEM suppliers. That $44 bulb cost your dealer around $32. That $100 belt cost your dealer around $70-75. That $8 dollar bulb that you paid $1 for at the auto store cost your Kubota dealer $6.50

Dealers don't have as much say into the parts pricing as what customers think.