Oil & Fuel burn heating oil in tractor?

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #1  

jrchafin

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahinda 7520
Question,
I've been told that you can burn heating oil in a diesel tractor without any problems or modifications. Is this true? I just bought a new place and it has an existing heating oil tank with a couple hundred gallons of fuel. I won't be using this for heating as I have an outdoor wood boiler, so I figure I'll just burn it in the tractor. I assume that this is not technically legal, but it seems silly to let it go to waste when I have a use for it.
What concerns, if any, are there with burning this in my tractor, which is a brand new 7520 that I plan to pamper, by the way! :D

Jon

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #2  
There is no difference between the two,except there has been no road tax paid on the heating oil. Use it any non-road machine you have; it is not illegal

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #3  
Yes, burn the heating oil in your tractor........ its no problem.

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #4  
do ya'll know of anything else we can burn safely?

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #5  
jrlogan said:
Question,
I've been told that you can burn heating oil in a diesel tractor without any problems or modifications. Is this true? I just bought a new place and it has an existing heating oil tank with a couple hundred gallons of fuel. I won't be using this for heating as I have an outdoor wood boiler, so I figure I'll just burn it in the tractor. I assume that this is not technically legal, but it seems silly to let it go to waste when I have a use for it.
What concerns, if any, are there with burning this in my tractor, which is a brand new 7520 that I plan to pamper, by the way! :D

Jon
I would add some kind of fuel treatment to the oil just in case the fuel has been sitting around for awhile and absorbed moisture or has some algae in it. Typically, there is sludge on the bottom of the tank so don't go for the last drop. It would be a good idea to filter it if you can. Other than that, I would use it.

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #6  
I had the exact same situation. To be safe, just in case there was a difference, I mixed the two types of fuel 50/50. Never had a problem.

/ burn heating oil in tractor?
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'll just mix it 50/50 with regular diesel and burn it up! :p

/ burn heating oil in tractor?
Also, is there a reasonably easy way to filter it that's effective?

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #9  
MississippiMan said:
do ya'll know of anything else we can burn safely?

I have a Crossley single cylinder Diesel engine that i use for charging our house batteries . This very morning i needed to start it but had no Diesel , but i did have heaps of 10W hydraulic oil from my excavator when i changed it to 15W40 so i put that in the tank (with fingers crossed) As i type this i can hear the engine in the background ticking away merrily . I'd say if your tractor is not too complicated you could also run simillar as long as it was very clean with no metal in it and you use 10 micron filters .

/ burn heating oil in tractor? #10  
jrlogan said:
Question,
1*I just bought a new place and it has an existing heating oil tank with a couple hundred gallons of fuel. I won't be using this for heating as I have an outdoor wood boiler, so I figure I'll just burn it in the tractor.
3**I assume that this is not technically legal, but it seems silly to let it go to waste when I have a use for it.
You lucky dog !
1*A 1000.oo dollars worth of diesel fuel and a tank to store it in and it just falls into your lap.
3*It's diesel fuel for your tractor so why would it not be legal!