burn safety

/ burn safety #41  
he was working on some kind of grass vacuum machine with a rear engine.. wouldn't start.. he pulled air cleaner off carb I guess to see if throttle linkage and all was working... someone keyes it over while he was still half inside the shell.. fireball shot out.. caught his shirt, right arm full to shoulder, left arm up to elbow, and a piece of his scalp and right eair on fire.
This reminds me of a couple of instances...once back in the 60's, relatives of the step dad were on there way back home and in the mountains of BC his Ford Edsel died for whatever reason. Anyways, he was in the process of pouring gas into the carb and he instructed his wife to crank it over while he did so. It backfired and blew burning gas back on him. He ended up with some pretty painful burns and they got the car started and she drove to a hospital quite some distance away. That's about all the information I got to hear about. The other instance was back in 78 or 79 at work. we were headed back into town and the truck ran out of fuel on one tank but instead of switching over to the other tank and letting the engine keep the fuel pump operating (carb and mechanical fuel pump back in those days, eh) the idiot driving (not me btw) pushed the clutch in and stood on the brakes and stopped! Of course it wouldn't pick up the fuel again just cranking it over so I got a small jerry can of gas and poured some down the carb and the aforementioned idiot hits the starter! I immediately jumped back as fast as I could just in case it backfired (because I always remembered that incident with the Edsel) which it didn't fortunately but I chewed said idiot out in no uncertain terms since I had told him to wait until I was done before he tried to start it! He went on to make management...

/ burn safety
yep.. fail upwards. sounds like perfect management.

I talk to my buddy weekly.

most of the compression bandages are off. he still does waer a compression tube on the arm though. and 8hrs on / of and his fingernails have started to grow. that's looking up!