burnt exhaust valve

/ burnt exhaust valve #11  
Several questions. Is this a liquid cooled or air cooled engine? You said there was fluid in the cylinder so I suspect it may be liquid cooled.
If the vale seat is okay (not pitted or burned out) then your valves are probably good.
If your timing is to advance, as stated in an earlier post, or if you are using fuel of to low an octane then you may be getting detonation. What this will do is to melt some of your piston (aluminum) and deposit it on your valves. It will also foul your spark plugs and that cylinder will mis-fire then eventually go dead. I've had this happen to me several times.

You must correct this problem as eventually you will burn a hole right thru your piston.
Been there and done that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If the key is just slightly indented from hitting something your timing will be affected as Ronnie said. I would definetly check it.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HankC

/ burnt exhaust valve
the engine is actually air-cooled, which confused me as to why the cylinder had liquid in it. Checked the key and it looked like any old woodruff should look like, crescent shaped on one side, and flat on the other. The piston looks normal though, not like aluminium has gone from it to the valve...Thanks...really weird though...still works and runs... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif for now...