Dealer Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL

/ Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL #21  
Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 15 years, there are exactly ZERO sub 100 horsepower tractors made in the USA. I had a Green tractor dealer go on at length about their “American made tractors” (35-40 horse range). My next door neighbor in Augusta actually worked at the Green factory there. The ASSEMBLED a wide variety of knockdown kits shipped in from overseas (Yanmar, Grenmar, and some others), but they “manufacture” nothing. There’s a world of difference between assembling knockdown kits and “manufacturing” anything. When I mentioned this the Green salesman turned the color of his tractors after stuttering for a couple minutes. I bought a Zetor (which interestingly enough was at the time also being painted Green and sold as such in South America and Asia). In any event, don’t let anyone use the “made in America” story to sell you a smaller tractor. They are ALL made across the pond. Pick the one YOU like and go with it...

/ Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL
Which models? the standard/economy lines have a different pedal than the Grand L's. It's different enough that if the pedal on the standard L's/MX's had been on the Grand L's I may have bought a different tractor.

One of those things that Kubota seems to do as a cost saver on their brand that makes me selective about which Kubota's I'd consider buying ....even as someone who already owns a Kubota.

I’m not sure which exact models honestly. I’d have to swing by the dealer again and look

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 15 years, there are exactly ZERO sub 100 horsepower tractors made in the USA. I had a Green tractor dealer go on at length about their “American made tractors” (35-40 horse range). My next door neighbor in Augusta actually worked at the Green factory there. The ASSEMBLED a wide variety of knockdown kits shipped in from overseas (Yanmar, Grenmar, and some others), but they “manufacture” nothing. There’s a world of difference between assembling knockdown kits and “manufacturing” anything. When I mentioned this the Green salesman turned the color of his tractors after stuttering for a couple minutes. I bought a Zetor (which interestingly enough was at the time also being painted Green and sold as such in South America and Asia). In any event, don’t let anyone use the “made in America” story to sell you a smaller tractor. They are ALL made across the pond. Pick the one YOU like and go with it...

I’m not hung up on “made in America”

I do have some concern about parts availability 20 years after purchase. I’m not afraid of the Internet or anything to find parts. I own a car and motorcycle for two brands that don’t exist anymore (Merkur/Buell) I’m just not sure how tractor parts vs auto parts plays out in scenarios like this.

/ Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL #24  
I知 not sure which exact models honestly. I壇 have to swing by the dealer again and look

Odds are it was either a standard L or an MX as they are the more commonly sold compact tractors from Kubota in that size range and (I believe) share the same sort of highly undesirable long rocker pedal. The pedal layout on the Grand L's (which admittedly are more expensive "premium" compact tractors) look like this: 0428201125_HDR.jpg

The two (rarely used) brake/turning pedals on the left, and HST rocker on the right - which is relatively easy to treat like it's two separate pedals thanks to the small peg on the top/front of the rocker.

While the "premium" lines of tractors some brands (e.g. Kubota, JD) offer are more expensive compact tractors, they (in my opinion) tend to include enough features/differences that are handy enough or should be standard on all tractors (e.g. telescoping lower link arms, and telescoping stabilizers on the 3pt) to more than warrant the increased price -- especially for a long term purchase.

Just my :2cents: though as I'm of the opinion all manufacturers have both well and poorly designed models/features.... and dealer support (or lack thereof) can always make a difference (the JD dealerships in my area have reminded me of sub-par big box store customer service with small outdoor equipment more than a couple times - which doesn't exactly encourage me to buy a JD tractor in this area).

Odds are it was either a standard L or an MX as they are the more commonly sold compact tractors from Kubota in that size range and (I believe) share the same sort of highly undesirable long rocker pedal. The pedal layout on the Grand L's (which admittedly are more expensive "premium" compact tractors) look like this: View attachment 653180

The two (rarely used) brake/turning pedals on the left, and HST rocker on the right - which is relatively easy to treat like it's two separate pedals thanks to the small peg on the top/front of the rocker.

While the "premium" lines of tractors some brands (e.g. Kubota, JD) offer are more expensive compact tractors, they (in my opinion) tend to include enough features/differences that are handy enough or should be standard on all tractors (e.g. telescoping lower link arms, and telescoping stabilizers on the 3pt) to more than warrant the increased price -- especially for a long term purchase.

Just my :2cents: though as I'm of the opinion all manufacturers have both well and poorly designed models/features.... and dealer support (or lack thereof) can always make a difference (the JD dealerships in my area have reminded me of sub-par big box store customer service with small outdoor equipment more than a couple times - which doesn't exactly encourage me to buy a JD tractor in this area).

Yeah that’s not the pedal setup I saw and hated.

I could live with that if everything else was right

/ Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL #26  
Yeah that’s not the pedal setup I saw and hated.

I could live with that if everything else was right

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...third-function-control.html?referrerid=326024 has some pictures that show the loader/third function and a bit of the other controls ...which are well enough laid out that I've managed to raise and change pitch (w/ hydraulic toplink) on a box blade while back-dragging with the bucket in order to spread piles of mulch with the box blade and erase the tire tracks with the bucket.

Biggest complaint I've experienced (or read) is the seat bottoming out on rough ground. Which I've really only had a problem with when hitting holes/depressions at speeds over 5-ish mph and that's despite being larger & much heavier than most. On the other hand it has done well at those speeds while pulling a disc or a spike harrow through my garden.

/ Buying a tractor in Dothan, AL #27  
I am sorry, but I just don't see how people drive a tractor with the brake peddles on the left side. My left foot don't work that way.