Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones

/ Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones #1  

Weekend Strada

Tractor
Case IH JX75T
I'm being offered a old disc plough and rotavator that were meticulously restored for about 60% of the price of new implements that I would connect to my Case IH 75hp.

Wanted to get your opinions. The branding on the plough is IH so it has to be pre 1985 vintage. But it looks pretty good. The Rotavator is also in great shape apparently with gears, blades, bearings all replaced.

Worth the risk? What could go wrong if only some structural bar failing which would be visible to the naked eye.

Thanks in advance. 140648499_884217619003486_3134221843320274321_n.jpg119700907_609136913109595_4195462196946855789_n.jpg

/ Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones #2  
I'm being offered a old disc plough and rotavator that were meticulously restored for about 60% of the price of new implements that I would connect to my Case IH 75hp.

Wanted to get your opinions. The branding on the plough is IH so it has to be pre 1985 vintage. But it looks pretty good. The Rotavator is also in great shape apparently with gears, blades, bearings all replaced.

Worth the risk? What could go wrong if only some structural bar failing which would be visible to the naked eye.

Thanks in advance.View attachment 684427View attachment 684428

They are likely built better than new stuff.

/ Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones #3  
Ditto on the built better. All of my implements are second or third hand. Well heck, so are my tractors. :laughing:

My Ford Rotary works like new but won't win any beauty contests. And my Giant Barracuda flail mower is down right scanky but cuts like a finish mower. I paid $35 each at auctions years ago. Folks around here had never seen a flail so they didn't bid. My 8' disks came out of the salvage yard as well as my three bottom plow. I forgot what I paid but it was the going scrap price at the time. I'm thinking 10-15 cents a pound. I ain't proud. If it works, it works. I've been lucky--They all work well.

So well, I'm restoring the Ford 3910. It's about finished. Just waiting for a few warm dry days (weeks) to finish the painting.

2008_1031Implements0012.JPG2008_1031Implements0026.JPG

/ Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones #4  
If they've actually been restored, and not just a tremclad quickie, then they will last a long time. I'd go for it. They'll get the job done same as a new one.

/ Buying and Using Vintage Implements vis-a-vis New Ones #5  
dont expect a lot from them and dont pay much then you wont be dis- appointed! --- sure they are better made but dont matter how good they are made----they break and NO parts to be had for old stuff anymore---everything was sent to chimna melters a long time ago! -- I use old junk here and know a bit about the parts thingy! lol!