Buying my first "real" tractor, need help.

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help. #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Buying my first \"real\" tractor, need help.

Newbie needs help. I have read many discussions on this board the past few months and they are very informative. I have learned so much and feel like this is a real family and everyone is so nice. (Bird is the wise Grandpa, of course!) I need help in making a discussion. I need a TLB. I have narrowed the field to two tractors, a John Deere 110 TLB and a Kubota L3830 with a LA723 and a BH90. I can get a 110 Demo with 60 hours for $33,900 (and the L3830 TLB for $26,950 before haggling. I have driven the 110 and really like the sloped hood, toggle creep to reposition feature, the covered ROPS, (Texas sun you know) and the FEL control lever position. I have driven a L3130 with FEL and it also drives wonderful. However I have not been able to find a BH90 to operate for a really good comparison. JD has just a 1year warranty and the L3830 has a 2-3 year warranty.

I have a slightly undersized tractor now (Grandpa’s Farmall A with a 48” MMM). I have 120 (weekend) acres in central Texas. The terrain is rolling hills. I have gumbo black land with mesquites on about 20 acres and 10 acres of newly planted native grasses. I have a white sand hill with wildflowers that covers about 15 acres and the remaining is wooded oaks in sand and red clay. I have three ponds and a small spring pond. The land use is for cattle, wildlife and nature trails. I will use the BH for rock moving, new house construction (walk-out basement), septic system, select mesquite (3”-5”) removal and pond maintenance and expansions. I will eventually get a box blade for about 2 miles of road maintenance. CEO has approved either. I really value everyone’s opinion.
Thanks, TXdon

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help. #2  
Re: Buying my first \"real\" tractor, need help.

Interesting pair of units you are looking at. Each is an excellent unit, but they don't seem to be directly, apples to apples comparable to each other. The 110 is first a really heavy-duty, commercial/industrial grade backhoe/loader that also has a 3 point hitch capability. The 3830 is first a farm/estate tractor to which a loader and backhoe can be added.

That may sound like a distinction without a difference, but it does give each unit some advantages for certain applications. The Kubota model that matches more closely to the JD 110 is the L48. The JD models matching the 3830 would probably be something like the 4410-4510-4610's.

Only you can judge which type will be better for what you need to do. For example, if the 110 is like the L48, it has a permanently attached loader. It's really strong, but it's also a real inconvenience for some tasks like mowing, etc. On the 3830, you can detach/re-attach the somewhat lighter-duty loader in about 2 minutes.

One of the other guys here recently traded out his L48 for a 3830 and has posted some very specific insights about why. If you have the time, do a little seaching here on TBN for those messages from Rat (maybe he'll jump in here also!).

I would invite you to do a bit more work on sharpening your focus... lot's of great products out there, and lot's of variety. If you've been reading here, you also know most people will tell you not to worry about whether to go green or orange. Both make excellent equipment, as do others. Find the best type of equipment for you and find a good dealer. Good luck!

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help.

Thanks Grandad, I have read Rat’s step-down to the L3830 and have looked at the L48 TLB. To me the L48 tractor was big and square and I would choose JD 110 hands down with the easy off bucket and BH. But when I think a savings of $6,950 to the well liked good looking L3830 I get swayed that way. I know this is not the best comparison but I keep coming back to these tractors. From the previous post there seem to be less problems with the Kubotas than the new JD 110. You are right on my need to focus but the JD dealer just call about the availability of the demo and I must decide soon. Thanks, TXdon

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help. #4  

If you plan on using the unit primarily as a digger/dirt mover, I would go with the 110. If you plan on doing a lot of mowing and other 3 point hitch work (box blade, scraper, brush hog, plow, etc.) I would go with the 3830. I see you plan on doing a lot of work initialy with the backhoe, but will that type of work keep up year after year, or will it mostly finish up after you finish your house ? You mentioned the covered ROPS, but with the money you save on the 3830, you can get a canopy and several implements like the boxblade, a landscape rake to clean up your yard after your house is finished, etc. You need to decide if you will use it primarily as a backhoe, or as a tractor.

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help. #5  

Txdon, I have an L3830 With the La723 fel and the 509 Bradco Back Hoe. Since May I have put over 90 hours on it. Majority with the fel/Backhoe and can say with confidence that it does an excellent job. A family member who has heavy equipment tried to get me to just buy a backhoe, I believe it was a John Deer 310 4x4. I thought about it but needed to do other things as well. Once my family member operated my L3830 he loved it. Of course it does not compare to the 310, but never the less it does a great job. ---Shane

Ed, thanks for your reply. To answer your question on the need for the BH after the first years of home building I think will be able to use it on a continuous maintenance of transplanting trees, pulling mesquite, pond erosion repair, rock collecting for erosion control, fences and landscape, (There is a large free supply of rocks a mile down the road) and making 3-4 more frog ponds. Plus there a lot of relatives in the area and no one else has a BH so you know what that means.

Shane, thanks for the evaluation on your 3830 with the 509 Bradco BH. That is just the kind of experience I am looking for to help make this "decision".

Are there any JD 110 owners out there that can add their experience about their TLB with and without the BH?

Thanks, TXdon

/ Buying my first "real" tractor, need help. #7  

I would also recommend that you consider the Kubota L4330 while you are looking. It is not a lot more money than the 3830 and you get a good dose of added torque that comes with the additional cylinder. I have been operating my new 4330 for 26 hours and have loved every minute. (You can also get a heavier duty front end loader with the 4330.) I think that you would like to have that extra power to do the work you are contemplating. I am only working on 25 acres of horse farm and have found it to be indispensible. Good luck in your search.

Thanks Rjsmit1, I did not know about the larger loader for the 4330. I will check it and the price differance out this week.
TXdon.