Buying my first tractor

/ Buying my first tractor #11  
Well sir, I knew that I was going to need help to take care of my property and my Mom's. I knew very little about tractors and I purchased a subcompact BX2200. I used it for 13 years with its very limited capability. I had to work slower and still got things done, but as I should have expected; a task too big for my tractor did happen. It is really amazing what a subcompact CAN do.

I bought a larger tractor after those 13 years and I do the tasks much quicker now. There are STILL jobs where I would like a bigger tractor, but I can make do. (such as rig up something to increase leverage and pullAbility to operate the attachments is a defining feature.

Enough steel to take the load is another. It is surprising to me how much a large frame 25HP tractor can do in lifting or using a backhoe. However, when pulling ground-engaging equipment; more grunt is important.

I would go larger than my vision tells me because it is like a closet for your wife - eventually it will be too small.

/ Buying my first tractor #12  
Thirty five years ago - when we moved on the property - I started with a 25 hp Ford 1700. Ten years ago I traded the Ford in for a 62 hp Kubota. All the 25 hp jobs were completed and I needed more WEIGHT and hp to get the final projects completed. Horse power may move the tractor but weight gets the job completed.

/ Buying my first tractor
So much great advice here. As I’m searching and adding up what attachments I will need and how much PTO ill be using and this and that... I’m starting to consider purchasing a used one. As I read earlier, I’m bound to ding it up, it’s a tractor. I plan on using it like one. Ive been looking and to get something that really isn’t too old, and has a few hours on it, will save me a bunch, and most of these have attachments coming with them. Hmmmm

/ Buying my first tractor #14  
Don’t forget to shop for deals. They are randomly out there as long as you’re not hung up on the brand . You can often swing deals on interest rates, free financing and other conditions that greatly affect price and payment overall. Shop around. A guy I know is right now working a deal with New Holland. Supposedly getting a mid 40s hp 4 wad with bucket, plow ,back hoe , blade and snow blower IIRC for $44ish K, all new. Whether it will happen I really don’t know but he’s working on it sounds like a pretty good deal. I don’t know the details on it all yet as he has to get back to me . I also don’t know if it’s some deal that NH have going or it’s just something with the Local dealership being hungry. The point is don’t just settle on what the sticker price says. Make the give you stuff to sweeten the deal.

If at all possible make sure to get a machine with a SSQD skid steer quick disconnect loader setup on the bucket arms. SSQD is the industry standard. Which makes buying things later on from places like Craig’s List much easier.

Pay the extra for the little extension that goes on the 3 pt hitch on one side. It’s only a couple hundred but and you won’t be chasing bars and levers because you dropped it on a bit of a dip when you finished last job.

Another under $200 option for us cold country types here is a block heater. I just leave mine plugged in so I don’t have to let it idle forever to do something during the winter. These like the 3 point extensions are nice little tidbits to get the dealer to toss in to sweeten the deal for you. If you hammer out a deal and some slick salesman tries to slip something in on you right when you are about to sign the paper walk right out the door. I did and ended up with a better tractor elsewhere. Those are my suggestions , now get shopping. Just remember , ONLY SUCKERS PAY STICKER PRICE!!!!