Buying through tractorhouse unseen...?

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #12  
I found mine on tractorhouse. I asked the dealer what I would have to do for him to hold it for me after I asked a few questions about it. It was a good deal and wasn't going to last long. All he required to hold it for a few days until I could pick it up was my contact info. In this case the risk was low because it was an '08 with only 112 hrs., looked like new except for some bucket scratches and was an extremely low price for the tractor. I asked him to hold it on a Tuesday. I drove approx 4.5 hrs. the next Thursday to pick it up. The great thing was I didn't have to put any money down to get him to hold it. If it wasn't what he said when I went to pick it up I could have left it there and not lost much. If it is within a reasonable distance to pick it up yourself and you don't have to put down a deposit or only a small one(that will be refundable if it isn't what they make it out to be) to get them to hold it the risk goes way down. Paying for one without seeing it and having it shipped would make me a little nervous, but a good many people here have done it (though not all through tractorhouse). I dealt with Joey Johnson, Quality Equipment, Layfayette, LA. Straight up good guy. Called three months or so after I bought the tractor just to make sure I was satisfied. I understand my story may not help you a bit if you can't make the trip to pick it up yourself.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #13  
It's risky to buy unseen but then again it's risky to buy used in any case. I bought my mini-excavator through Tractor House's sister company Machinery Trader sight unseen and got what I consider was the best deal I've got on any of my equipment purchases. Sometimes you just have to take the risk. Our last 3 trade-ins were by pictures emailed to our dealer - that is risky. Private parties are much riskier to do business with.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #14  
Where are you in VT? I find it difficult to believe you can't find what you need in VT?
My former contractor bought a used tractor, it needed a radiator, a battery, went through 2 cylinder heads and now 3 turbos. Can't remember what company he bought it through; but it was somewhere in the western part of the US. It's just an example, but it or worse could happen to you. Your cost theory is skewed, to the extent IF you buy a bogus tractor, everything else is at risk. You don't have a warranty, no local dealer support, and your money is tied up. Then what?:confused3:

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #15  
Haven't seen this mentioned yet but if you are serious about a particular tractor then the cost of flying over and possibly renting a car might be worthwhile. That would be cheaper than making a bad purchase.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #16  
I've bought six used tractors off Craigslist.
1945 Oliver 60, 1948 Farmall Cub, 1949 JD B, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapols Moline BF, 1964 MF135 diesel.
I looked at all of these but one before buying.

The one I bought sight unseen was the 1949 JD B.
The Seller had an excellent website with much information on the tractors he had for sale including that B. That B was running and was being used to rake his hayfield. So I figured this was a low risk opportunity.
We negotiated a price and I transferred the money to his bank account.
He helped me find a shipper who needed a load on his return trip to the Sacramento area. Shipping cost was $400 ($1/mile as it turned out).

From what I hear TractorHouse is a reputable outfit that usually provides good and accurate information on the stuff listed there. My advice is to email the Seller with questions until you feel comfortable with buying the tractor sight unseen.

Good luck.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #17  
See if the dealer will take more pics and maybe even a video of the tractor. Have him do a complete walk around of the machine, start it up and drive it around through all the gears and work the three point and pto. Lots of dealers on Tractorhouse do this. I bought my Ford 3600 this way on TH and got exactly what I thought I was buying, no surprises at all.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #18  
If you are in Northern VT.;I would try looking in northern NY,Plattsburg-Malone area.Lots of large farms in those areas.

/ Buying through tractorhouse unseen...? #19  
I see used tractors in Pa on search tempest all the time. New old big little, there appears to be no reason not to search the net and take a road trip. If you want a good tractor ti takes some effort.