BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil....

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #1  

Jabroni

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
My BX-24 has 175 hours on it. I found a large puddle of hydraulic oil on the floor of my garage this morning where I keep it parked. I put it up on ramps, and crept under it to see what might be going on. The entire transmission in the vicinity of the filter is wet with oil. It's soaked in the area of the lower cooling fins.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before, or perhaps where I could begin to look? The area looks very crammed, and appears to be a challenge to get into! Thanks.

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #2  
My BX-24 has 175 hours on it. I found a large puddle of hydraulic oil on the floor of my garage this morning where I keep it parked. I put it up on ramps, and crept under it to see what might be going on. The entire transmission in the vicinity of the filter is wet with oil. It's soaked in the area of the lower cooling fins.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before, or perhaps where I could begin to look? The area looks very crammed, and appears to be a challenge to get into! Thanks.

There is a well known issue with the BX2200 (as well as the rest of the BX numbers, I imagine) that involve leaking hydraulic hoses related to the power steering, I think - apparently they all eventually fail for some reason. I haven't had the problem myself, but many others here have - hopefully somebody in the know can elaborate. It is supposed to dump oil onto the mower deck, which I guess is in the general vicinity of where you're talking about.

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil....
Thanks. It would be behind the mowing deck, but not too far. I'll check it out. Thanks!

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #4  
Sounds like where mine was leaking from...the input shaft on the front of the transaxle. Fenders off, transaxle off, fins pointed up, cover off, seal pressed from inside. Had the dealer do it.:(

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #5  
If it's near the filter, I'd clean that area really well and maybe see if the filter is tight. After cleaning all around the filter well, run for a bit and then check all around the filter again. What I'd do as well is follow all of the hoes in the vicinity with a rag or paper towels, clean them and also check them again after running. The slightest leak with hydraulics can emit a large amount of fluid. I've had a slight leak develop at a hose fitting and the slightest turn of the fitting with a wrench stops the leak forever. I also had a hose get a worn spot where it touched the drive shaft when the boot had slid off on one BX but I think it was a fuel line. Shop rags and/or heavy paper towels/shop towels are your best friend now if you can't see anything shooting out while it's running. Clean everything (hoses/filter) in that area really well.

Thanks for the advice. I will do that.

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #7  
Many posts about this. I have been through it myself. Most likely power steering lines. Replace all 4 of them. Good quality lines will be cheaper than Kubota OEM but harder to install. Start tractor and with safety glasses on let tractor idle to find out for sure.
Good Luck

I gave up looking for it, and called the dealer. They power washed the underside of the tractor, and let it run for a couple of hours; no leaks anywhere. It's a mystery. Dealer claims that breather tube was wet with oil and that rundown spread all over the rear of the tractor. They're returning it to me with I'm sure a sweet diagnostic bill!

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #9  
Thanks to all that contributed above. This thread was a helpful find with a similar complaint of pool below rear of tractor.
I'll post my story here too.

In my case, the pool was directly below the hydraulic oil filter and only the bottom edge of the hydraulic filter showed a drip of oil hanging from it.
Pretty simple really.

My guess is the cold snap and a loose fit worked together to cause the leak.
The filter turned tighter with a little bit of effort. When I checked the level. It had hardly moved.
I hope that's the end of it.

Running the hydraulics too cold probably doesn't help either. Wouldn't hurt to find an hydraulic oil heater.
bxn.

/ BX-24 leaking hydraulic oil.... #10  
Shouldn't "need" a heater for the hydraulic oil, as long as you have the right viscosity for the region and season.
In any case, all seals and connections shouldn't leak due to a little more back pressure than usual.