BX Boom Pole

/ BX Boom Pole #1  

jambx

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver
Is any of my fellow BX'ers using a Boom Pole?

If so, what kind and what for?

Looking to get one to assist lifting some heavy ~500 lbs items off a trailer and want to get feedback on how well a BX works under these loads.

I have noticed few (if any) "sub compact" like Boom Poles (i.e. farm force, TSC etc) so if your using a "real" Cat 1 are you getting enough range (lift etc)?

Also, since I have never used one my impression is there are for "stationary" lifting - I suppose it痴 possible to lower items and move slowly but the moment arm is against you with weight that is out. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

~jim

/ BX Boom Pole #2  

Looking to get one to assist lifting some heavy ~500 lbs items off a trailer and want to get feedback on how well a BX works under these loads.

I have noticed few (if any) "sub compact" like Boom Poles (i.e. farm force, TSC etc) so if your using a "real" Cat 1 are you getting enough range (lift etc)?

Also, since I have never used one my impression is there are for "stationary" lifting - I suppose it痴 possible to lower items and move slowly but the moment arm is against you with weight that is out. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

~jim

Jim,

This is a home made boom I made. The TSC boom pole is just fine. I just made mine as I had scrap pipe available at no cost. Pulling a 6" dia post, buried 4 feet in the ground for 30 years take more than 500 lbs.

JC,

dsc04270gq4.jpg

dsc05274iq4.jpg

/ BX Boom Pole #3  
I affixed a 1 1/2 ton "Power Pull" to my boom pole. Adds a little bit of versatility. Gives me a winch line capability. The main thing to keep in mind with a boom pole is weight balance and the lifting limitations of your machine. For the money, you can't hardly go wrong and you will become even more popular with your friends, family and neighbors! Ha!

/ BX Boom Pole #4  

~jim

500 lbs, most sub cut can lift around 600 lbs 24" off the end, the farther you go out your lifting capibility would decrease.

KC