BX radiator replacement

/ BX radiator replacement #1  

spurlocktool

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500, BX2230
Maybe this has been covered before but I could not find it in searches. Anyway my BX1500 radiator developed a leak in the core. I could see that access was tight so decided to just replace rather than attempt repair to avoid possibly having to do the job twice if a repair failed. The shop manual says to disconnect everything from the engine and hoist out the engine and radiator as one. I found an easier way so thought I'd share it here.

I expected to be able to just unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator, then remove both radiator hoses and lift the radiator out the top and slide the new one in. But the lower radiator tank is wider than the shroud which prevents simply lifting the radiator out. I didn't take any "before" pictures but here is a shot of the new radiator with shroud and overflow tank-

DSC00931.jpg

And this shot shows the interference between lower tank and shroud-

DSC00933.jpg

So being stubborn by nature I decided to try just spreading the lower sides of the shroud to let the radiator squeeze past. Using a hook I pulled one side of the shroud outward at a time while pulling up on the radiator. Again a shot of the new radiator showing how the shroud will spread apart enought to clear the radiator-

DSC00934.jpg

Once both sides were clear the radiator lifted right out. I then lifted out the shroud and replaced the fan belt while I was at it. The radiator comes complete with new shroud and overflow tank. So reassembly was just the reverse: First slide the shroud over the fan-

DSC00942.jpg

then pry the top of the shroud apart enough to slide the radiator down into place.

DSC00946.jpg

The shroud did not get permanently bent by the spreading, and the job was a whole lot easier than pulling the engine! Hope this might help someone who has to replace either the radiator or water pump. Both of these jobs requires pulling the radiator.

-Bill

Attachments

• DSC00931.jpg
    DSC00931.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00933.jpg
    DSC00933.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC00934.jpg
    DSC00934.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00942.jpg
    DSC00942.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
   / BX radiator replacement #2  
Very neat!

Do you know how or where it sprung a leak?

/ BX radiator replacement
Very neat!

Do you know how or where it sprung a leak?

It appeared to be leaking where a couple of the core tubes meet the top of the core. So I assume the aluminum corroded through or maybe cracked from vibration. I didn't bother to pressure test and locate the exact leak spot since I had already decided to just replace the whole thing. Probably was repairable, but I didn't want to chance having to do it again!

/ BX radiator replacement #4  
Where did you buy the replacement?

Kubota or aftermarket?

Just curious...:)

Where did you buy the replacement?

Kubota or aftermarket?

Just curious...:)

I first looked for an aftermarket but couldn't find one, so went with the Kubota part. At $334 it's not cheap.

-Bill

/ BX radiator replacement #6  
Where you using antifreeze designed for diesels?

The high combustion pressures in a diesel create cavitation around the cylinders and this not only damages the outer cylinder but also affects the chemistry of the liquid.

Dave M7040

Where you using antifreeze designed for diesels?

The high combustion pressures in a diesel create cavitation around the cylinders and this not only damages the outer cylinder but also affects the chemistry of the liquid.

Dave M7040

Thanks for the question Dave, yes I do use antifreeze for diesels. I just now pressure tested the radiator and found the leak and it looks like mechanical damage rather than corrosion. See the small dent and puncture in the photo below. It's on the fan side of the radiator just below the top tank and is well shielded by the fan shroud, so I'm wondering if it was a factory dent that finally broke through.

DSC00947.jpg

-Bill

/ BX radiator replacement #8  
I thought it was aftermarket. Only because Calsonic used to make the radiators.