BX vs lawn tractor size comparison

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tom, you got me curious about this JD. List price is $14,600 with only a mower, no FEL or BH (only FEL appears to be available). It does have some cool features, though.)</font>

As you said before you edited your post</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That is an expensive lawn mower.)</font>You're right, it surely is. It does have 2WD-4WD & Cat. 1 hitch. Obviously overpriced. I don't see why they don't classify it as a subCUT. They have comparable sized units that they do call subCUTs.

Post edit: I just poked around the JD site some more. They actually have nothing listed as a subCUT. The smallest thing they have listed as a CUT is the JD4010 which is 18 hp. and which they list as comparable to a Kubota BX1800. Their smallest model available with bh is JD4115, a 24 hp. that's slightly larger than a BX. Their biggest "Garden Tractor" is far larger than their smallest CUT-go figure! I guess each manufacturer just makes up its own category classification. Easier to keep us all confused that way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's like the grocery store. Ever notice how they always seem to be moving the aisles from one place to another? One manager actually admitted to me it's to make us slow down, look harder, and hopefully buy more. They think of so many ways to part us from our $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

' wonder how far down the JD scale you can put a Woods BH6000?

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #12  
Tom:

When the X-Series JD's first came out, I asked a dealer the same question. What he told me is that Deere developed the X500's for those dealers who were not authorized to sell a full line of CUT's. If you do some investigation on pricing, you'll see plenty of overlap with the JD 4115, which is much more tractor than an X595 (ROPS being the first benefit).

Rick

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #13  
Makes sense now. In order to make more money, they found a way to go around the contract they have with their tractor dealers by playing a word game. Just take a CUT, call it a garden tractor, and license it for sale through all kinds of lawn mower dealers who have little knowledge about real tractors and also no ability to service them. I bet the JD tractor dealers feel royally sc_ _ _ed by the corporation.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's like the grocery store. Ever notice how they always seem to be moving the aisles from one place to another? One manager actually admitted to me it's to make us slow down, look harder, and hopefully buy more. They think of so many ways to part us from our $$$. )</font>

That's why the Dairy section is usually at the back of the store. Dairy is the most commonly visited section of a grocery store. You have to go through the rest of the store just to get there.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Makes sense now. In order to make more money, they found a way to go around the contract they have with their tractor dealers by playing a word game. Just take a CUT, call it a garden tractor, and license it for sale through all kinds of lawn mower dealers who have little knowledge about real tractors and also no ability to service them. I bet the JD tractor dealers feel royally sc_ _ _ed by the corporation. )</font>

I think you hit the nail on the head. When I was shopping for a tractor, I stopped at the local JD dealership and was surprised they had NO green on the lot, only Challengers (who I had never heard of). The dealer said they dropped JD (after selling them for 20+ years) because they could get no support. He said JD was more interested in selling to Lowe's or Home Depot than taking care of their tractor dealers. I bought my BX the next day.

And you're right, I edited my post above after realizing the X595SE could accommodate a FEL and had a 3PH - not really fair to call it just a lawn mower on my part.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #16  
You are correct on the dealer attitude. I stopped at a dealer I had found through the JD website. I had figured that green paint was an expensive color but I decided I needed facts rather than opinion. When I told him what I was looking for he just pointed at a machine on the lot and then walked me over to a BX saying it would also fit my needs for $2k less. (Until I went there I was not aware they were a Kubota dealer.) He threw me a very good price for the BX. The JD dealer had similar comments about JD's business practices with the big box stores and JD's concern for market share.

However it was not a wasted trip. I was glad I stopped there. The very local dealer I had talked to earlier was able to reduce his original quote enough to get my business. The local K dealer has a good reputation for service, parts and support. I was willing to put a few extra bucks on the table to deal local. I didn't have to put down as many $ to do the local deal as I was willing to so I was pleased with the deal.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #17  
Nice. So much for the "glorified lawn mower" comments /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Jeff

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nice. So much for the "glorified lawn mower" comments /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Jeff )</font>
When anyone asked me how big my BX23 is I tell them to imagine an overgrown GARDEN Tractor on steriods. With a FEL hanging out one end and a BH out the other. They generally stare off in some direction and give that nodding Hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #19  
I don't own a Kubota, but I browse through everything on TBN just 'cause I like all tractors, no matter what the color.

I loved the picture of the BX lifting the Craftsman, so I had to get out my "garden tractor" and try it for myself lol. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

craftsmanlift2.jpg

craftsmanlift1.jpg