Mowing BX22 mowing deck mmm or?

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #1  

bbrown

Bought home my slighty used BX22 it did not have a mowing with it. So qusetion one is mmm or 3 point hitch finish mower. 2. Does anyone else make mmm
3.If 3 point hitch is better which one
4.Which is going to be cheaper to repair when broke [belts, shafts', blades
5. What size mowing deck
6. or forget mowing with it and have fun instead dig stumps .

thanks for help bbrown

still grinin /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #2  
Congrats on the new to you BX. There's been a lot of discussion on this point in the forums over the years. But let's see if I can add value in this one. I recently went from a RFM to a MMM on my BX and found out some things folks hadn't previously warned me about.

The MMM gets lots closer to the edges of things like fences, decks and trees. I have more control over where the MMM is than the RFM. But the RFM gets into corners better (I could back it in nicely). I'm at 7600' elevation. That means I lose a nice bit of HP on my 22HP baby. I was using a 6' RFM. I think I was pushing the power rating. The 54" MMM is better suited to my rig for that reason. I actually seem to cut quicker and cleaner with the MMM than the RFM. I'm better able to cut along the edge of the previous cut than I was with the RFM, but I'm sure that's more operator error/experience than anything else.

Now for the stuff that really surprised me. With the RFM most of the dust and debris is behind the tractor. With the MMM it's right under it. With the BX air flow being off of the operator deck it means you suck up lots more into the screens with the MMM than with the RFM. I used the RFM for 4 years with no problems with over heating or clogged screens. 2 hrs into my first cut with the MMM I found out about the difference /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Fortunately, an hour to cool down, some new antifreeze in the system and a good cleaning of the intake screens later all was well.

Price was a concern. New RFMs are slightly cheaper than new MMMs. The King Kutter XB48 will run you around $1500 while the Kubota 60" MMM is over $1800. You can find both used, but it's not easy. I was lucky. Another member of the forum in my area made me a deal I couldn't pass up on a 54" MMM. I'm loving it (thanks Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Good luck on your search.

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #3  
Is a King Kutter XB48 a 48"? Just asking since if it is for $1500 you can by a Bota 54" mmm for about that very same price, new.

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #4  
Yep, that would be a 48" RFM specifically designed for the BX series. It's actual price delivered in Colorado was just under $1600. The Kubota MMMs go for $1863 for the 60" and $1652 for the 54". You could also go for a self powered pull behind. I've seen a 60" with a 13HP motor for $1500. Of course you wouldn't have the control over it like you would with a TPH style deck.

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #5  
For my money, I'd definitely go with the 60"MMM, because of the ease of use that was mentioned before and the quality of cut is remarkeable. I have no problem with power and the 60" deck, but I don't have the altitude to deal with. The larger deck gives you a smaller uncut circle than the 54" deck and you can get closer to trees and fences with the 60". The MMM is easy and quick to get on and off if you have a flat surface, and after you install and remove a couple of times, it's almost as easy as the FEL.

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #6  
I favor the MMM because I don't want to be constantantly taking the RFM and the BH off and putting them back on all the time.

You can also trim closer to objects with a MMM.
MMM cost a bit more but well worth the diff. to me .

Can't say about difference between keep up of them

/ BX22 mowing deck mmm or? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1* I was using a 72'' RFM.
I think I was pushing the power rating.
2*The 54" MMM is better suited to my rig for that reason.
With the RFM most of the dust and debris is behind the tractor. With the MMM it's right under it. With the BX air flow being off of the operator deck it means you suck up lots more into the screens with the MMM than with the RFM.
I used the RFM for 4 years with no problems with over heating or clogged screens.
3* 2 hrs into my first cut with the MMM I found out about the difference
Price was a concern. New RFMs are slightly cheaper than new MMMs. The King Kutter XB48 will run you around $1500
4*while the Kubota 60" MMM is over $1800.
)</font>
/////////////////
1*This is 2 big & yes you were.
2*This is 2 small - 60" MMM is just right.
3*Don't think the MMM is entirely at fault here because the RFM had been building up dust for 4 years before the MMM was installed.Seems the Screens were already on the verg of cloging at the time the MMM was adtivated.
I've never had a clogged screen and I have 222 hours logged.
I paid 1300 for the Kubota 60'' MMM.