BX2200 PTO pump capability

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #1  

Skip G

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Hope someone out there can help me with these questions.
I need a new spray system for my vineyard.
I'm currently running a 15 gal tank with a 12 volt electric motor, but the coverage with this system is not adequate and the electric pump is not consistent with it's pressure output.
Here are my questions:
Does the BX2200 have enough horsepower to drive a PTO pump. I'm being told this particular pump (Hypro )can be set to either
540 or 1000 RPM.

What is the top RPM this tractor can be run at safely ? I would think it wouldn't take much HP to turn that pump.

Is the 3 point on this model typically a Cat 1 ?

How much weight can I safely carry on the 3 point ? This is 30 gallon tank, so roughly 250 lbs of solution + the weight of the tank and carrier, which I can't believe would be more than 100 lbs.

If it's capable of carrying this weight, would I need a counter weight on the front if I take the loader off ?
Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help.

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #2  
I don't know the exact horsepower of yours at the PTO, but I'd guess around 16. That would drive a pretty good sized pump. The 3 point should handle that weight easy. I would think you would want a little counter weight on the front. If you were working on flat ground, you might get by without weight on the front. My BX2350 is listed at 3200 rpm for a 540 pto speed, but it revs to about 3400rpm. It would be a CAT 1 hitch.

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability
Thanks.
Is that 3400 RPM running the tractor at full throttle ?
Should I be concerned with running wide open like that for extended periods of time ?

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #4  
I ran my BX2200 at full throttle while mowing for six or more hours at a time for the five years I owned it without problems and my son in law owns it now and does the same. They are very tough little tractors.

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #5  
The BX's rated pto speed is nearly WOT like dodgeman said, the 3 pt hitch can lift about 1210 lbs bur consult your manual as this info is for my BX24, and your rear pto should be able to handle a water pto pump without an issue. Its like running a rototiller. I just don't see why you need to be at full 540 rpm unless you need the full force spray. I am guessing that once you get it, you will play with it with plain water and test at different rpms to see what best suited for you. The BX is a cat 1. If you need to take the fel off for easier time to manuver and carry more then 15 gallons, I am going to get you gonna need to fabricate some sort of weight in the front for the BX

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #6  
Per my BX2200 manual:
Engine Gross Power: 22.0 hp
Rated revolution: 3200 rpm
Rear pto: 1 speed, 540 rpm at 3068 engine rpm
Mid pto: 1 speed, 2500 rpm at 3125 engine rpm
Emplement Limiatations: Sprayer - 40 gal

The manual doesn't list pto hp, but I've heard 17. I have run a spray rig off the back of a JD 1530 (large old utility tractor) and a JD 955 using a generic pto driven roller pump. We never had to run very high engine speeds to generate the pressure we needed to run the sprayer but I have no idea what the pump specs were. I do know that about 15 yrs ago we paid about $200 for the pump at some place like Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply. The pump slid right onto the pto and we used a chain to keep the pump from spinning. The guy I worked for had used that type of setup in a tree farm for many years and is still using it today as far as I know.

I would think that the 40 gal limit is pretty conservative. That would be 320# of water plus the weight of the spray rig. The chemicals would add a little extra weight, but almost negligable IMO. The tractor is rated for about 650# at 2' behind the hitch pins.

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #7  
My owner's manual lists the pto horsepower at 16.5. That is on my BX2200.

John

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #8  
The PTO HP is 16.7 according to Kubota.
The 3 point can lift 680 pounds at 24" behind the tractor.
You will definitely want FE weights if you expect to be able to steer - most people prefer being able to choose his/her heading.

Here is a PDF file with the BX2200 specifications:

/ BX2200 PTO pump capability #9  
I need a new spray system for my vineyard.

Hands-down the classiest problem to come through here in a while...

IMO you'll be fine with the FEL for front ballast. My (ridiculously oversized) box blade weighs about the same as your tankage, and does fine.