Tires BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #1  

Bricklin

I am finally making my purchase this week I believe. Thanks to many of you with your thoughts and wisdom.

I am purchasing the BX23 - since its somewhat on sale with the new BX24 out.

I have the option to go with AG or Turf tires. I feel like the turf tires will have plenty of traction for what I am going to be doing since the tractor is pretty light anyway. I do have an area that can be a little moist that I will be clearing, but I really would rather not rip up the lawn if its not necessary. can anybody give me an idea? I am mostly going to moving things, stone, gravel, dirt and also taking up some sod.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #2  
My idea is, if you are going to be mowing a nice, big, lawn routinely with the BX, better get the turf's and use tire chains if you need more traction. I have ag's and would never get turfs. I finish mow wet fields but don't care about tire tracks. I mow my lawns with an MTD rider and keep the BX off of them. To offset the light weight of the BX, I run 15psi in dry conditions with the scraper, etc.
Cheers!

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #3  
I have a 23 with Ags and I mow lots of turf. As long as it is dry (on silty clay here), they don't leave tracks.

I wanted turfs at first, but I am glad after doing a little FEL work. I have a friend with a small green tractor on turfs (the same one incessantly scrolling across that dang banner on the top of my screen), his tires spin WAY too easy for my taste.

Congrats on the BX. Great machines.

Russell in Texas

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #4  
Congratulations on the new machine. I have turf tires on my BX23 and have had pretty good luck mowing, plowing, and using the fel in mud. I would like to try a different tire myself because the turfs fill up with dirt and make a mess on the driveway and in the garage. They loose traction in the mud but they work good enough that I get the job done. They plowed just fine this year as well. The turfs rip up the lawn a little if they slide while mowing and this time of year you can see where I drive on the lawn for sure. I am fearful that a different tire would leave more and worse marks in the lawn. I would like to have two sets of tires to try but for now I will be on turfs for a while and as 50% of my BX time is mowing it appears to be a good compromise.

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #5  
I had turfs and switched to ags. My lot is very hilly and wet/muddy in some areas. As long as the ground is not saturated, the ags will not leave noticable marks. Turfs will chew up a lawn just as bad as ags if you allow them to spin. Something else to consider... the ags self-clean. Turf treads tend to clog up easily, even with grass clippings. It might not be a concern for you, but since I garage my tractor I don't want mud chunks everywhere and I don't like the smell of rotting grass.

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #6  
The BX23 is a great little machine. It'll work all day long for you and ask for more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went through the same thought process as you on which tires to go with, we all probably did/do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was all set to go w/bars and ourchase an extra set of turfs when I read a few posts by other BTDT's and the vast majority used the bars and never bolted the turfs on. A couple offered to sell me theirs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I went w/the bars and didn;t buy the extra set of turfs and they work out great for me. They will leave tracks in wet turf but the lines will go away when the grass recovers. Theres no damage or marking on dry turf and I primarily use my BX23 for finish mowing.
FWIW
Volfandt

Attachments

• 853101-BX23 July mow 2005 005.jpg
    853101-BX23 July mow 2005 005.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 167
   / BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires
Thanks for all the reply's. From what it seems I will probably go for the AG tires. Maybe I will ask my dealer if he has the R4 style, since it seems to be a better combo tire. But since I am not getting a MMM and will be doing mostly FEL and BH work the AG tires would probably work better for me.

I have made up my mind and the wife had said she was ok with it before, I have given her 3 days to make her final decision, but she is pretty good. I just want to make sure she does not have a problem with the purchase. If you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe I will ask my dealer if he has the R4 style, since it seems to be a better combo tire. )</font>

I see no advantage in going with either turf or R4s over the ags.

R4s the worst of both turfs and AGs in my book.

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #9  
I purchased both sets, the turfs have been on only once or twice, that's it. I really like the Ags .

/ BX23 purchase with AG tires or Turf tires #10  
I puchased mine with Ags after reading many reviews on Ags verses Turf. Without a doubt the Ags perform much better then the Turf tires, but if your lawn is wet then they will do damage. I had Turfs on my BX2200 and can tell the difference with the Ags on my new 2230. Go with the Ags and if you find they are doing damage to your lawn go and buy a set of Turfs, but don't waste your money up front. You won't bleive this but that is what my wife had told me to do and it proved to be great advise.