BX23 Starting Problem!

/ BX23 Starting Problem! #1  

BSF215

Hello,
I have searched and read on here about starting problems on the BX series. But what I have found does not seem to solve my problem...
I turn the key and all the dash lights light up (battery, temp & glow).
I checked /jumped both seat switches and hear a click when I sit on the seat.
I also hear a constant ticking of what I believe is the fuel pump.
I have checked all my fuses which are OK and jumped the neutral safety switch on the high/low.
The only switch I can't get to and dont believe is the problem is the forward/reverse.

What would be the next step in tacking down the problem?

ps... I also have no head/tail lights and the fuse/ bulbs are not blown... not sure if their related to the no start... the lights stopped working a month or so ago, just never got around to fixing them yet!

Thank you in advance!
Bryan

/ BX23 Starting Problem! #3  
Could be your PTO switch is loose and/or bad. Thats been a cause for a few posters over the yrs.
Some have been able to wiggle it and get the tractor to start while others have had to either by-pass it or tighten it back up to where the lever makes/breaks it.

The switch on the range selector has also been known to cause this same problem. Same fix suggestions as the pto switch.

There is also a 20 amp fuse that protects the fuel stop solenoid and the aux power connectors located under the seat. Alot of folks wire in ROPS lights and other electrical devices into this aux power connector and when the additional load blows this fuse, the tractor will either not shutdown or not start. This depends on whether the engine is a D902 or D905, both of which came in the BX23.

Your head light problem sounds like it's either a loose slip-on spade lug on the switch or the switch itself is bad. Also make sure that the fuse is fully seated. Did you test it with an ohm or continuity tester?
Good luck

/ BX23 Starting Problem! #4  
Safety switches can be a hassle.

The attachment shows how to check wiring at the fuel stop solenoid. Note that absence of voltage could be a stuck safety switch. I would check the ground tab too.

Seems like I remember another thread where the solenoid and the headlights share some wiring. Memory is fading faster than my cheap touch-up paint...

Russell in Texas

Attachments

• StopSolenoid.pdf
    216.3 KB · Views: 288
   / BX23 Starting Problem! #5  
I have a MF GC2310 which I believe is very similar to your machine. What I found when mine would not start (after checking all the safety switches) is a rubber boot on the backside of the ignition switch that was collecting water. All the connections were so corroded that the starter could not get enough current to work. All the lights and everything worked, but it wouldn’t start. I removed the ignition switch, cut all the wires, cleaned up the connections on the switch, stripped the wires back and re-soldered them back on. I haven’t had a problem since. Fortunately my tractor is no longer stored outdoors.
Hope you figure it out soon, I know how frustrating it is when you can’t use your tractor!