Chains BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #1  

PA-Woodchuck

Tractor
2008 BX2350 FEL
Been awhile since I visited the site so I'm sure this had been chatted about already. I have chains on the rear and wanted some feedback for adding chains to the fronts for snow removal. I'm using a loader too.

regards

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #2  
I have them on the front and rear. It really helps steering more than anything. I would put them on the front only except that would probably destroy the front drivetrain from abuse.

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #3  
chains on the front are not recommended by kubota as it will strain the front end. Regardless of that though if you plan to clear snow with the loader you will probably realize pretty quickly that the front wheels will get off the ground when you are pushing heavy deep snow anyway, in which case chains won't really help that much. If anything what would help more than chains is some more weight in the front of the tractor. even using my snow blower in float mode up front gets the front end pretty light

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #4  
I've only used my BX2230 for one snowfall so far. :-( But it handled things very nicely with only my turf tires, and at times I didn't even have the 4wd engaged. I've got the rears loaded and 250lbs on the 3ph, but I had no problems at all.

I don't think I'd put chains on if I had a paved driveway, but you didn't say what you had. I'd give it a try before I spent the money.

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #5  
I used chains on the front, but they were very light duty car chains that just barely fit. It helped with steering, but were still light duty enough that the wheels slipped fairly easy. Even if you have the chains it is highly unlikely that you will load up the front end in the winter to the point where it can't slip. I used chains on all four when skidding firewood in the snow. The front chains were just there to make me feel better. When dragging logs there is practically no weight on the front. I sold that tractor and now I have to find another light set for the front of the other machine.

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #6  
NO filled tires on this and no chains.
Kubota manual says do not put chains on the front tires.

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #7  
We had chains on all 4 tires for a long time and are quite pleased with the result in snow and mud. Just keep them tight with those rubber straps. Now the laterals will on occasion break so carry extra monkey links so you can make an on the spot repair.

Ours are on year around but we never go on a hard road surface.

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #8  
The last couple years we have had some unually deep and drifting snow. With the FEL and RB on, it moved and lifted snow to my satisfaction without loaded tires or chains. It is so much fun that I do the driveways and drifts of three neighbors just for the fun-of-it. :cool: BX2660 turf tires

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #9  
My experience would suggest chains on the front are not necessary. Using a BX23 with rear blower I have cleared a steep 1/4 mile gravel driveway for two winters with chains on rear only. When I say steep I mean greater than 15% up and down. Rear chains have never failed to get me up & down the driveway.

The BX gets traded next week for a B3000 with cab. I will be much warmer blowing in the future!

/ BX2350 Chains on all 4 for snow removal #10  
Recently added front chains on the B2320, to complement the rears. The lack of steering traction during snow removal was a significant safety issue in our case, having nearly slid into the roadside ditch a couple of times - but we get a ton of snow and have a long driveway with moderate hills.

While Kubota does not recommend front chains, I have not heard of a single case of anyone destroying their front drivetrain as result of front chains. Has anyone? For us, the added safety of better steering traction is well worth the risk of damaging the drivetrain - the drivetrain can always be repaired.

Haven't had a chance to use the tractor with the front chains installed, so can't comment yet on the efficacy.

As others have mentioned, front weight helps too.