bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #1  

crossfire190

Tractor
Kubota BX2350
Last I checked, my radiator is full, but the overflow tank is completely empty. I would like to add a little antifreeze, but I do not want to add the wrong type. The manual specifies long life antifreeze, but I am not sure what type to buy. Any suggestions on brand/type and the proper mix? I am in NW PA and temps usually do not fall below 0 def F.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #2  
I find the Kubota manual a little confusing on antifreeze as well as other subjects. My B3030 also has the expansion tank with green coolant in it. Ethylene glycol coolant used to be known as permanent many years ago. I can only guess they mean the standard green ethylene glycol coolant. All the extended life coolants I've seen are red,orange,golden,anything but green. Of course,I've seen red and tan regular coolant also in imports. I can appreciate your quandry. It's also interesting that they suggest a mixing ratio of no more than 50%,and list 40% and 50% freezing points in the manual. It's always been pretty much standard practice to mix green antifreeze 50/50 with water(distilled or de-ionized prefered) for -34Fprotection. Although I can remember cars coming with -20F protection from the factory,with -34F an option. My first car was a 1961 Impala that had the original window sticker with it showing antifreeze a $6.00 option.
Sorry to ramble-I think for lack of any other info,just use regular green 50/50. Good Luck

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #4  
Do you need to add a coolant additive? Like you do on trucks...:confused:

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze
Thanks for the feedback. I will go with the regular old Green stuff at a 50/50 mix.

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #6  
Prestone makes a anti-freeze they claim to be compatible with all OEM and aftermarket anti-freezes. Just in case you are not sure.

"Long Life" anti-freeze to me means the orange (or red) 150K mile stuff you find in most late model vehicles.

Good luck

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #7  
Any reason I can't run straight anti-freeze instead of a 50/50 mixture (other than cost)?

/ bx2350 - Proper Antifreeze #8  
x703jko said:
Any reason I can't run straight anti-freeze instead of a 50/50 mixture (other than cost)?

Straight antifreeze does not work very well until you mix it properly with water. You risk possibility of overheating or freezing up.