BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch

/ BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
Ok... my main switch has to come out.
(I rang/subbed both ways - switch side glow circuit not making, rest of circuit OK.)
Grabbed my $100 and some dollar book - "remove switch" is all it offers.
So, I have a pretty chrome-ish collar around the switch, with 2 slots, with nice hemisphere ends.
It seems that what shows through there are small bits of similar shape, maybe just just same width?
I have tried pushing, prying, one, both, what is the secret?
I suspect after the magical bit, the collar will spin off - hopefully CCW!

/ BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch #2  
I have no idea how remove enough plastic to reach behind and actually grab the switch, but the nut can usually be dealt with using a pair of channel locks. It's on there TIGHT because if it isn't the switch will try to turn in the hole when you go to the start position. If you replace the switch, keep that in mind. The nut needs to be tight, not just snug.

/ BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch
OK guys... by nut do you mean the collar surrounding the keyhole?
Just channel-lock on that and go?
No known trick involving the 2 slots?

/ BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch #4  
On my b7800 the ignition has a flat on it to orient it a help prevent it from Turing.

/ BX23D Remove Main ('Ignition') Switch
Turns out... I once again over complicated something.

First, switch barrel, thread area has 2 flats for dash hole anti-rotation - that's it - like a double D!
The chrom-ish ring is ONLY a ring nut, with 2 indentions (that do NOTHING else). I taped it up, and channel-locked it, came right off.

The removed switch/wire assembly comes apart by opening 3 'stakes'.
The plastic body wiggles out - clean and grease 3 moving/rotating contacts and springs, and 4 stationary wire contacts.
Index and restake - they are not 120* apart.
(But the spring contacts are... so one could carefully rotate 120* to get new stake locations if marked up carefully.)

I am preheating and fast starting again!