BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward...

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #1  

BotaBX24er

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Okay...this has probably been discussed before but I thought I would ask again to see if anyone has good ideas on how resolve this. I have to tap on the reverse pedal to disengage the forward drive all the time now. Brought it to the dealer to have them check/fix it...got slapped with a $60 labor charge for cleaning the mud out and basically all they did was try to lube return cylinder. Needless to say it didn't work and I paid $60 for a cleaning that didn't even remove all the mud :mad: !

I tried looking for the grease fitting that I read most people talking about but haven't succeeded in locating it.

Any comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated...

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #2  
There is a neutral return spring located very near the HST filter. Get underneath the machine and start working the pedal fwd/rev and you'll eventually see the (vertical) spring. There is an adjustment nut on the bottom end of it. On my 2350, there is just enough room to rotate the nut one flat at a time :mad:.

The operator's manual also mentions this spring but instructs you to take it to the dealer for adjustment.

The grease zerk is accessed through a small round flap in the floor mat roughly between the two pedals. The manual shows the location of it.

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward...
fish6942...Thanks!!! I will take a look at it in the daylight tomorrow

Needless to say, the dealer's excuse is that they have never worked on these type of compact Kubota's before as they just recently picked up the Kubota line from another dealership that was shutdown (after 30+ years, where I originally bought the tractor) :(. The were mainly New Holland and Ford...I just hope that I don't get surprised by anything else that will require their help to do anything else for :eek:

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #4  
My money's on lubrication. Find that grease fitting. Depending on how dry it is, may have to work pedal some to get it freed up.

Sounds like you need to find another dealer...or, depending on your mechanical inclination, buy a shop manual...:D

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #5  
yup! The problem is much more prevalant on the 50 series like yours and mine. I too would need to tap it if the shaft is dry. funny thing is I grease it regularly to try to lessen the snap from it. I also tighten the return spring jam nut and now I can tell if the hst pedal needs greasing or not. It feels sluggish when needs greasing. The jam nut is no fun to work with, needs MMM removed and pateince. You will need to turn the nut a little, flip the wrench over and use the angle to turn it a bit more and flip and turn and flip.......:(

/ BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #6  
Funny you would bring this up, because my BX2350 has the same problem. I got stuck in a ditch a couple days ago because it wouldn't slow down when I let off and I didn't catch it right away. This problem is worse when its cold out and as the tractor warms up, it will get better. The grease flap is near the pedals and it gets kind of hidden with a little bit of dirt. In my opinion skip the grease and use some light weight lubricant. I have been using PB Blaster and it seems to help some, but you have to use it often. In my opinion there is a problem with this linkage, and I don't think the return spring has enough power, but you have heard all the complaining about the sudden stop in reverse, so making the spring stronger would only worsen this problem. Like someone else said, there is an adjustment, but I don't think it helped any on mine, and I have it adjusted all the way.

I've also notice the problem is worse when you only have the HST pedal down part way. If you have the pedal down all the way and let off suddenly, it usually works beter. When you see how the large return spring works you can see why this is the case. When the pedal is part way down, this spring is not stretched out very far and doesn't have enough affect on the pedal return. It think the tractor would work better if this spring had about 1/4 coil knocked out of it and was stretch out a little more, but its tough to get at and I don't think I have the skill to shorten the spring and then get it re-bent into the correct shape and put back on. Like I say, doing this would also probably make the sudden stop in reverse even worse.

Last edited:
   / BX24 - HST pedal stuck in forward... #7  
If it's not broke should I try to fix it??? I have never had any issues my the HST pedal on my L3130. Does anyone know if there is a grease fitting there somewhere? If there is I guess I'll try to grease it.