BX24 - Last minute decisions

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi group,

Well, I ordered a BX24 today, and it should be coming next week. The only add-on I opted for was a toothbar for the loader. Does anyone have any last-minute things that you'd recommend that I add at the last second before it comes if it's still possible to do so? I've read some things about skid plates, and I live on some fairly rough terrain, but I think that the skid plates I've read about are aftermarket. Backhoe thumb maybe? Or is the Bro-Tek one better and more functional than Kubota's? Another brand? Something else?

We're not going to pick up any 3pt implements at this point. I have a grader blade for some other tractors I own, and that will come in handy. As far as things like post hole diggers and tillers, we're going to wait to see if it would be cost-effective to buy such things as opposed to renting them based on what projects we work on.

Thanks for any "I wish I had" thoughts any BX owners may have!

Ray

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #2  
Get some hooks welded on the FEL bucket, you won't believe how handy they'll be for you.

A thumb for the BH is another "must have". I've got a Bro-Tek and I've had no problems with it at all.

If you're going to do alot of digging and/or grubbing with the MMM off you'll definitely need some kind of under side protection. I made alittle cheap skid plate for mine but Bro-Tek makes an outstanding full protection skid plate. DO a search and you can find plans where others have made theres.

If you're going to do any work at night you'll need a couple ROPS lights. Kubota has a kit but I like others have fab'ed up our own.

You'll enjoy the tractor, it's a great little TLB plus it's a mighty fine finish mower too.

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Volfandt. I've been reading about thumbs and skidplates, but I totally forgot about the hooks on the bucket. I'm going to see if I can get my request in in time for that.

p.s. Nice Wheel Horses. :cool:

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #4  
it's a great little TLB plus it's a mighty fine finish mower too.

Do you mulch the grass, collect it, or just throw it out the side chute?

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #5  
Consider a set of 'clamp-on FEL pallet forks.' Until today I did not have a set. I can tell you that I have moved too much stuff by getting it into the FEL by hand, taking it to the relocated place I want to store it, and then either dumping it or removing it by hand. With the pallet forks I pick it up and relocate it w/o touching it. (I just make sure that I put pallets under everything I think I'll ever want to move. If I have something large delivered I have them place it on one of my pallets and I can move it easily.) I made my own clamp on pallet forks for about $65 worth of materials and about an hour of MIG welding. There are a number of outfits that sell them but they seem to cost $450 and up. Good luck with your new toy!

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #6  
Do you mulch the grass, collect it, or just throw it out the side chute?
Alittle of all 3 I rekon :D
I installed a set of gatorblades on my 60" MMM last season and at a minimum they shred the grass and leaves clippings down in size by half, if not more. The std blades were good, the gatorblades take finish mowing to another level.
Normally I side discharge into the cut row and don't have to go back and collect the clippings up as they are cut up pretty fine. In this manner it's sort of a combination of mulching and side dischargeing.
But I also like to make my own compost so every 4th or 5th mowing I'll side discharge into windrows then go back and pickup the clippings w/the cyclone rake.
When the leaves start falling in earnest and are too thick to just mulch up I use the cyclone rake after every mow.
Tomorrow will be only the 2nd time I've run the cyclone rake this season.

/ BX24 - Last minute decisions #7  
If it is to late to get your hooks welded on get 1.5' 5/16 chain a quik link and a 3/8 grab hook and wrap around front knuckle in middle of loader bucket. Needed to lift 60 mmm and havn't gotten right bucket strengthend & hooks yet. used 3' chain thru rear lift link attach area worked like champ