BX24 - re-trenching

/ BX24 - re-trenching #11  
Harry c said:
Just fill the ditch back up and re-dig (With the backhoe not a shovel). No sweat, no danger of falling in or getting stuck.

SOP. The loose fill comes back out easily.

"pick and shovel"???? :EEK:

/ BX24 - re-trenching #12  
richardbro said:
I've been digging a couple of trenches with Mighty-Mite (my bx24) and now these trenches are close to meeting. Unfortunately, one of the trenchs is not deep enough and I need to dig out another foot or so over about 30 feet. The trench is as wide as the BX BH bucket - is it safe to stradle this trench with the BX (back up over it and hopefully not put a wheel in)? Is this something commonly done (amongst newbies)?

I had to do that once for about 35 feet.
The ditch was 12'' wide and about 10 inches deep.
Had to go back and take out about 4 more inches down.
When I got that done I made a new slogan.
Make sure it's deep enough the first time through - It's easier to put some back in than it is to take more out.

/ BX24 - re-trenching #13  
richardbro said:
I've been digging a couple of trenches with Mighty-Mite (my bx24) and now these trenches are close to meeting. Unfortunately, one of the trenchs is not deep enough and I need to dig out another foot or so over about 30 feet. The trench is as wide as the BX BH bucket - is it safe to stradle this trench with the BX (back up over it and hopefully not put a wheel in)? Is this something commonly done (amongst newbies)?
I have done it from the side on small ditches.

/ BX24 - re-trenching #14  
What about using some 2x12s as a platform. It sure beats unstucking well stucked tractor.

On the other hand, you can score on YouTube:)

/ BX24 - re-trenching #15  
Harry C knows what he's talking about. My trench caved in and snapped a shovel in half. I was sweating when I was glueing the pipe in my 5.5 deep trench. If I read his post previous I would have built protection for entering the hole because it can happen so fast. You hear it all the time on the news. Most of my trench had tree roots to lock the earth tgether. I had to turn around to dig back and use a solid core door to cover the existing trench. Saw that mentioned in the book. Safety first. I think digging is a very hazardous occupation.